Poem Analysis Question

Andy K.

Hi!

I'm doing a poetry assignment (Scaffolding by Seamus Heaney) where I have to answer a few questions. I came to one question and I am not quite sure what it exactly wants.

Question: What strikes you most about this poem in terms of knowledge of self and others? (base your answers for these questions off of the description of how this poem acts a metaphor)

I'd just like to get this clarified so that I can answer appropriately, Thanks everyone!

I'd interpret it as the question asking what stood out the most to you about the poem's message regarding knowledge of self and the people around you.

So, explain the message the author is conveying and try to connect it back to yourself as to what "lesson" you've learned from the poet.

On 30 October 2016 at 9:12 PM, Andy K. said:

Hi!

I'm doing a poetry assignment (Scaffolding by Seamus Heaney) where I have to answer a few questions. I came to one question and I am not quite sure what it exactly wants.

Question: What strikes you most about this poem in terms of knowledge of self and others? (base your answers for these questions off of the description of how this poem acts a metaphor)

I'd just like to get this clarified so that I can answer appropriately, Thanks everyone!

Reading the poem the first section is clearly a metaphor between the building of walls and the building of relationships because Seamus Heaney then literally spells that comparison out for you. What does the metaphor of scaffolding to build strong walls v.s. the 'scaffolding' to build a relationship tell you about Seamus Heaney's insights into himself and others - because the whole thing reads a reflection on a key relationship.