Biology HL Exam Thoughts

jess_hoeps23

I've heard of Goblet Cells mentioned before but couldn't recall the information they asked for. 

Personally I found Paper 1 so focused on Topic 4 and 5, and the wording for the multiple choice questions threw me off a little. 

Paper 2 was better for me, I breezed through Section B - although I was so surprised to see DNA replication AGAIN after the May exams!

I suppose they wanted you to explain what each Cyclin did and explain how they worked - well, at least that's what I did. Could be wrong though. 

I couldn't believe the 'ESS' question on International Co-operation. I was really hoping the test would stay clear of vague NOS questions like that. 

I found the questions generally kind of vague - like, you knew what they were asking, but didn't know what they want. The nitrate and phosphate question was incredibly weird in my opinion. I think the data analysis question was okay though? Fingers crossed.

2 minutes ago, connect2049 said:

you guys think the grade boundaries from may 2016 (which was 78) will increase or decrease? 

From my experience the grade boundaries tend to be a little higher in November. Wasn't it 82% last year? I could be wrong.

Edited by Cartier Rose

I'm hoping they will decrease at least slightly. Some of those questions seemed a little left field. The Pearson book mentions goblet cells in defence against infectious diseases, but I remember them coming up more in 2009 era past exams. The molecule question for paper one really threw my classmates because we hadn't covered steroids in great detail, turns out it was under guidance. I spent so much time relearning oogenisis and spermatogenisis,  hormones, and the reproductive cycle and nada. I felt as though the things that I studied hardest like skeletal muscle contraction was a total waste of time. The May exams made me so hopeful for my marks, and I was worried that these exams would be slightly more difficult, but not completely obscure. As a HL chem student with easy May papers, I'm really worried what else they can throw at us.

15 hours ago, Grace1205 said:

I'm hoping they will decrease at least slightly. Some of those questions seemed a little left field. The Pearson book mentions goblet cells in defence against infectious diseases, but I remember them coming up more in 2009 era past exams. The molecule question for paper one really threw my classmates because we hadn't covered steroids in great detail, turns out it was under guidance. I spent so much time relearning oogenisis and spermatogenisis,  hormones, and the reproductive cycle and nada. I felt as though the things that I studied hardest like skeletal muscle contraction was a total waste of time. The May exams made me so hopeful for my marks, and I was worried that these exams would be slightly more difficult, but not completely obscure. As a HL chem student with easy May papers, I'm really worried what else they can throw at us.

I agree, those questions did seem a little left field. The Section B question on the three processes of reproduction in angiosperms related to a guidance statement also. There was incredibly little on Topic 11 as you said, which is so disappointing considering it's such a broad and content heavy topic. Furthermore, I was expecting more on cellular respiration overall. 

Edited by Cartier Rose

I think paper 3 was a lot better but for Option A they made the long answer (6 marks) on general anesthetics which I thought was ridiculous seeing that it was such an insignificant part of the syllabus. They also expected knowledge on autism which wasn't taught to us at all. Hoping that paper 3 will carry me!!

On 9 November 2016 at 6:48 AM, jess_hoeps23 said:

I think paper 3 was a lot better but for Option A they made the long answer (6 marks) on general anesthetics which I thought was ridiculous seeing that it was such an insignificant part of the syllabus. They also expected knowledge on autism which wasn't taught to us at all. Hoping that paper 3 will carry me!!

Hoping it will carry me too! I thought it was so much better! Option D was pretty easy, really similar to the specimen paper.