Math IA Topic Idea Help

YukiNatsu

I'm in my final year, and I decided to make another Math IA. I know crazy. But I hated my last one and scored kinda poorly on it. So instead this time, I chose to do something where I would record my friend approaching for the spike at different distances and I would try to find out if distance affects the area of the curve for his jump. I don't know if this is a good topic, could you guys make any suggestions? Also what else could I do for this investigation? What else should I look for? Thank you!

Since you are modelling his jump, you can also model the slope (of increase) of his jump. You can use derivatives. I think it would represent how quickly he is rising to his maximum point. I don't know if you'll want to, but its just an idea.

I think its a good topic. You are already incorporating calculus and some statistics I guess.

Another thing you should think about: what does area under the curve of his jump represent? My teacher mentioned that people in her class in the past have often tried to incorporate area under the curve for various topics, but they are not able to explain what the area represents. So explain that well! :)

20 hours ago, IBGeek said:

Since you are modelling his jump, you can also model the slope (of increase) of his jump. You can use derivatives. I think it would represent how quickly he is rising to his maximum point. I don't know if you'll want to, but its just an idea.

I think its a good topic. You are already incorporating calculus and some statistics I guess.

How would I do this?

Another idea you could maybe do is taking pictures of his jump through time, and then graphing the jump visually on a cartesian plane, and then making an equation to model the graph. I've seen this done a lot before in the math IA exemplars that the ib provides. Good luck!