Can I drop TOK?

Juniorjb

Hye guys,,

im so confused right now if I should drop tok or not.. I mean,, im taking first year of IB certificates, some of my senpai said i don't really need TOK. Is TOK really benefit for my University later? What happen if I drop it? I'm still working hard for my CAS though. I think i should be fine if i drop it

Edited by Juniorjb

Leaving ToK would mean that you will not get the IB diploma but only IB certificates for courses you will take. ToK depends on how your teacher treats the course. If you don't feel that you are learning anything and you do not need the IB diploma then it would probably be alright to no longer take ToK. 

• Like 1

Yah fam, gotta do TOK if u want ur DIPLOMA! its part of the IB curriculum - so u rly need it

btw im gonna giv u some pretty risky and uninformed advice now (im pre-ib student hvnt even started IB)

- if u dont wanna do TOK, u essentially sacrifice 3 ib points, whether or not u get 3 points for cas and the ee, because i  believe that the lowest grade u get amongst the three is ur set grade. So, u  can sacrifice 3 ib points, and there rly will be no point in the cas or the EE, u essentially sacrifice the cas and the EE to. Of course i know little about the ib, so take my advice with a grain of salt. anyhow u may hv to submit work of a minimum standard.

So, if you're really keen on the IB and don't wont to do any other highschool certificate courses, pay some attention to it. Learn to enjoy it, after all, your senpaie might not be making informed decisions.

Edited by TheMagical7even

I agree with what kw0573 has said. You will not be fine if you drop it.

You need TOK to receive your diploma (and bonus points). TOK really isn't that bad, it's only once a week and the assignments are alright. 

My teacher tells us that TOK is the most important course you can take in IB that prepares you for university, as you learn to think rationally, discuss such important topics and concepts, debate, argue, question things, etc. 

Just stay in TOK, I know it may seem bad at first but trust me, you get used to it and it'll pass by so quickly. I think it's worth it if you want to receive your diploma...

Edited by sodonewithib

ToK is required course in the IB system. If you drop it,  it is going to lead to the similar consecuences as dropping CAS - you won't get your IB diploma.

I personally consider ToK to be one of the easiest points in IB (3 points) just for writing your thoughts and submitting them to a teacher.

Btw. It's my first year of IB.