Regretting my IB choices - HL Physics and Math - what to do?

kokola9000

Hi, I'm new here! So I started the IBDP this fall, and needless to say, I'm very shocked... I chose to do HL Math, Physics and English (L&L), and SL French B, Chem and History..... The issue is - I am very bad at physics and math and they've stopped interesting me :( The teachers and students are very unhelpful... The reason I chose those courses was because I want to study environmental engineering - and I know, it's a very bad idea to chose courses for university requirements rather than one's own interest - but now it's too late and I'm regretting my choices. I can't change my courses anymore, and if I do, I'm going to have to catch up with a semester's worth of work. However - is there something I can do? Should I continue with math and physics HL, or change to something like HL Psych and Chem (I genuinely feel interested in those)? If I stay with math and physics HL, are there any tips? Thank you for your help, it would be nice if people who have been through a similar dilemma would share their anecdotes as well...

Btw - there is a rumour in my school that you only need 70% or higher to get a 7 (or 6?) in HL Math and Physics....is that true???? 

• Like 1

Hi!

I, too, started the IBDP at the end of this summer and I understand what you're going through. Whilst I do not take physics HL I do take maths HL. The workload is indeed quite large, and it might take a while before you fully adjust to it.  My old maths teacher said that if someone is on a steady 5 the first semester, they should be able to get a 6 or a 7 in the final exam once enough work is put into what they're doing. 

Remember to practice maths and physics regularly - ideally every day. It doesn't have to be a lot, 30 minutes to 1 hour, but it's important to keep the information fresh. When you struggle with some exercises, circle them, go through the "theory" once more, and try to solve them once again (even with the help of the Internet or the book). 

As someone who also takes chemistry HL I have to say that catching up with the work might be hard but definitely doable - in my school we did only 4 topics so far (1, 2+12, 3+13, as well as 11 which is just data processing etc, in 3 months) and apparently this is quite a quick pace for chem HL. There are many resources which can help you study chemistry online, and I'm sure it's a similar situation with psychology.

Doing what you need to do for your major of interest is ok, but finding out that this major might not be the best fit for you is  even more important. It's good you realised you don't like these subjects now rather than in a few months. Do what interests you more, as you don't want to spend your time miserable doing something you dislike.

I would still advise you to talk to the counsellor at your school, or your DP coordinator. They know you better and should give you a more personal advice :) 

Edit: For maths the boundary is usually between 74-79% for a 7 at HL. Not sure about physics. 

• Like 3

For Environmental Engineering, the ideal HL combination is HL Mathematics and at least one science HL (usually Physics). So if you chose to do Chemistry HL and Maths HL that should keep a lot of doors open for you. Maybe if you substituted Physics for Psychology SL, you might find it easier to manage Maths HL.

It's actually not a bad idea to choose your subjects based on your major, but just remember the Maths and Physics you're studying at IB is broad and will be different to the Maths and Physics you will study in your major. When you study your major the Maths and Physics will be more specific to your major (after year 1 or even 2 perhaps), and you might find that the maths/physics in your course actually the topics you prefer. It may well be you're "bad" at doing all the broad topics of Maths and Physics IB which doesn't necessarily mean you'll be bad at the Maths and Physics it in your major. 

The grade boundaries fluctuate each year, but the level 7 grade boundary for both subjects tends to be close to 70%.  This year, for example, Physics HL level 7 grade boundary 66% but that's because the paper was an absolute beast.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kokola9000 said:

Btw - there is a rumour in my school that you only need 70% or higher to get a 7 (or 6?) in HL Math and Physics....is that true???? 

I would like to clarify that actual IB grades involve only a couple of assessments collected by your teacher and around 60-80% (depending on subject) are earned from the final papers. The assessments your teacher collect and grade are called "internal assessments", which for Chemistry/Physics is a long lab report, and for math, an essay. With IAs and papers, 70 in most subjects is a 6 or 7. So whatever percentage you may be getting in class, it's probably not equivalent to IB grades because you are not assessed in the same formats and weightings. 

Here are some tips I gave for Physics HL and Math SL in another thread. Search our forum for more tips like these: 

If your teachers are unhelpful, you should try to ask all your questions in class (on day of lecture) so it's harder to teachers to "ignore" such questions and others may ask further questions until everyone is clear with the material. The way to understand/process more content in class is to read the related chapters before class.

It's possible to catch up in psychology or chemistry if you take a semester worth of class elsewhere or you want to study from a friend in one of the those classes. You can take look at their notes to see if you would be interested in these subjects. In my early IB2, a student changed from Biology SL and Physics SL and he took a physics class over the summer. 

I think you should take courses that meet university requirements if you plan to go to university. You can take non-IB courses in subjects you are more interested in as night classes, summer classes, etc. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Even i started IB this july and even i regret my choice...at first i had taken HL Bio Chem Math and SL Phy english lang and lit and my 2nd language SL. However intimidated by pressure of taking 3 sciences and irregular diploma i changes physics sl to psychology sl...And guess what? In my first IB tests it was psychology that had pulled down my score!!! Moreover i had chosen bio hl and them hl with the intention of doing medicine. But as i researched further and talked to more people i understood medicine is probably not my cup of tea! And overtime i am slowly losing interests in sciences...i prefer calculations more and now have a sudden inclination towards Arts (i have no background in Arts) ...i really don't think i can change my subjects now...Looks like i have to just continue and finish IB with it!!!! Any Advice???

If possible, ask your Coordinator if you can change subjects, but also remember that just because you're taking Bio HL and Chem HL, it doesn't mean you can't get a degree other than Medicine. I also don't know if you can do Arts with no background in it, so that'll be something to ask your Coordinator. It's still 2016, try having a serious talk with your Coordinator and seeing what your options are.

I feel like the grade boundaries depend on how much everyone scores on that same year (or on that same exam).

Such as one of the physics test (was it last year or this year?) everyone didn't score very well, so they had to adjust the grade boundaries. I believe that the grade boundaries are just there just so that we can set a target on how much we should score and how the teachers can know how much you would score in the finals.

Nonetheless, you should have a serious talk with your coordinator. I'm also taking Physics HL and Maths HL btw and I'm doing very good in it since I was one of the best at both subjects in my previous school (Thank God I was). So, if you've got any questions and need help, you can always ask for my help anytime... :)