November 2016 Physics paper 1 paper 2 and paper 3 Discussion

IBlicious

How did you guys find physics Paper 1, Paper 2, and Paper 3? I did the engineering Option and found the question on the flywheel quite difficult because the question gave  2 radius' and I didn't know how to account for both of them. I'm not sure if I was the only one that didn't know what to do with the 2 radius' given. I tried adding and subtracting but nothing I did yielded the answer they were looking for.

Paper 1 was my best and I finished it before time. I felt Paper 2 was quite manageable as well, and that it was easier than the May 2016 one. What do you guys think?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Maxxxxxxxx said:

I found paper 1 pretty hard actually; paper 2 was comparable with the May one but I think the May one wasn't too hard. 

Same I thought Paper 2 was comparable to the May one, and wasn't too bad. I was expecting something more difficult. What did you find hard about paper 1? I know many of my peers said that they ran out of time. I thought it wasn't too bad though.

11 hours ago, LolzDoingIB said:

Same I thought Paper 2 was comparable to the May one, and wasn't too bad. I was expecting something more difficult. What did you find hard about paper 1? I know many of my peers said that they ran out of time. I thought it wasn't too bad though.

I thought that the level of paper 1 was similar to the May paper, but I usually suck at paper 1 so... I think the first two questions frightened me a bit so I had that impression

I found paper 3 (Engineering) much, much easier than both the specimen and May 2016's paper. There weren't as many calculations - the only Bernoulli question was an explanation.

On 11/11/2016 at 1:11 PM, IBlicious said:

I did the engineering Option and found the question on the flywheel quite difficult because the question gave  2 radius' and I didn't know how to account for both of them. I'm not sure if I was the only one that didn't know what to do with the 2 radius' given.

I found it pretty straightforward - from the given values you could calculate an average acceleration for the falling object, which gives an average rotational acceleration for the flywheel + rod when dividing by the smaller radius since that's where the string is attached. Since Τ = Iα, you can calculate the torque. In hindsight, I think I used only I for the large flywheel, when it should have been the sum of both. I still ended up with ~0.3Nm as given though. For the tension part, you again use the small radius in Τ=Fr since again, that's where the string is connected. F equals the tension.

In other news, paper 2 had nothing too crazy (difficult to even remember it now) although it may have been a bit long.