Maths HL November Paper 1 and Paper 2 Discussion

IBlicious

Paper 2 was a disaster... I couldn't do half of the questions in section B. I didn't like the interest rate and the probability question at all. Paper 1 was doable but still pretty tricky. Probably left like 2 questions blank... Hoping for a low boundary... BTW, is it true that November's boundaries are usually higher than the May ones? Cuz I found the May paper easier than this one.

On 11/13/2016 at 0:23 PM, IBlicious said:

Yeah same I had no clue about the 2 modes question! I really didn't know what to do for it...

It took me a bit to figure out how to do it, but since the question specified "Hence..." I used the formula given/proven in the previous part.

I think I said that for a mode, it is a local maximum but I said that this means it is greater than or equal to both the value before it, and the value after it.

So: P(m + 1) / P(m) <= 1 AND P(m) / P(m - 1) >= 1

Solving that gave a range of two integer solutions, which seemed to be right.

Overall, I found paper 1 very easy compared to the usual, but paper 2 was definitely more difficult. That said, everyone seems to have found it tricky so the grade boundaries should be a little kinder to compensate. I got most of section B, but the last part of the compound interest one was very easy to mess up - It didn't actually correspond to the formula used earlier in the question. After 1.5 pages of crossed out working, I figured out how to do it but only had a few minutes left and didn't complete it.

Edited by mack