Biology HL IA Topic Ideas

Youssef Jumaa

Hello,

I have to do my Biology IA and its in HL. I have some topics in mind for my IA but I dont know if it is fine to do them in Biology HL or if they are too simple. I would like to do something that has to do with plants' growth and the relationship between plants' growth and light. Another thing that I had in mind is also seed germination. I would really appreciate other topic recommendations and clarifaction if the tooics that I chose are too simple for Biology HL IA.

Thanks in advance,

Youssef Jumaa.

Hi! I honestly don't know much about the bio IA (as I haven't started mine yet either 😁) but from what I know from reading past IAs and talking to people I know, plant growth and light and seed germination are things that are done all the time. There good places to start, but I would suggest that maybe you try to make your experiment more original? For example you could use a special type of plant seed that germinates under specific conditions rather than just testing (ie.) the effect of pH of soil on germination. 

Good luck!!

• Like 1

Like ShIrley say, plant germination and growth are very common ideas. However, if you want to do your IA on plants, remember to 1) have an original idea and 2) have an idea that carries personal connection. Avoid ideas that are already prescribed labs, like the angle of light and a plant's growth towards that light.

What you can do is make a brainstorm where you think of separate ideas and then branch off form there, developing different ideas as you go along. Make the brainstorm as big as possible, since (as far as my teacher is concerned) lots of your ideas will fall short or just not work. So get a many ideas as possible.

I hope that helps, even if it doesn't directly answer your question.