What is easier Business HL or History HL?

herbs

Hello!

I'm studying Business and Management HL right now and it seems pretty hard to me, even though I do ALL the homework, read ALL the assigned pages! I am so afraid right now that I won't be able to pass the exam, cuz I couldn't memorize the therminology and all the aspects of this subject.

I'm thinking of switching to History HL,  but I'm not sure if it will make my life easier. And I'm studying on IB diploma 1 for 4 months already. So I would need to catch up a lot if I switch.

Has anyone experienced it? Any advices? Which subject is easier to pass at the end?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey,

Im assuming that the History boundaries were not only changed for my school, but the IB Diploma as a whole. The Diploma Programme has changed History's grade boundaries, it is now the hardest subject out of all I believe, to score a 7. I am currently on a 6 with 80%, 79% is already a 5! =[ I suggest you pick B&M as it is easier to score a higher mark if you just follow the guidelines.

Goodluck...

I haven't experienced History HL myself, however all my classmates that take it seem to have quite a hard time with it. I agree with @bb1, it's considered to be one of the hardest IB subjects. There is A LOT to read, many essays, tests and assignments and the workload is just crazy. If you find Business difficult, don't give up! Keep at it :) Many IB courses seem hard or impossible at first but you usually get used to them. If you find it challenging, have a talk with your teacher and discuss what you can do to familiarize yourself with the terminology, theories, etc so when tests come up, you'll be confident and prepared. Any subject is doable as long as you put in the effort to keep improving! 

So my opinion is, unless you really, really, really prefer History over Business, keep working and improving on the course you're already in. You've got to really love History if you switch to it, especially HL. Also catching up on 4 months History work is going to be tough, I'll give you that...

If you're still unsure, have a talk with your teachers and your IB coordinator. They'll be able to advise you better :)

Hope I helped a bit! Good luck in the IB!

• Like 1

IMO, History HL is easier than Business HL. On midterms, the history average was like 10% higher than business. But it's easier to score a 7 on business than history. History is just a LOT of memorization, the tests (so far) have been quite easy for me. Idk if you should switch now, you'd be quite behind.

Goodluck :))

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/6/2016 at 4:52 AM, bb1 said:

Hey,

Im assuming that the History boundaries were not only changed for my school, but the IB Diploma as a whole. The Diploma Programme has changed History's grade boundaries, it is now the hardest subject out of all I believe, to score a 7. I am currently on a 6 with 80%, 79% is already a 5! =[ I suggest you pick B&M as it is easier to score a higher mark if you just follow the guidelines.

Goodluck...

That's really unusual... I'm doing History HL as well and I definitely agree it's one of if not the hardest subject to get a 7 in...but for different reasons. 50% and below on essays has become not just the norm but good! Grade boundaries (http://www.dpcdsb.org/NR/rdonlyres/257D5ECC-B156-4400-B0C7-D765BB3D4855/140115/201405_Grade_Boundaries.pdf) have it listed as requiring a 65% overall to get a 7. Which sounds like a walk in the park. Except its not. Getting above 50% is an achievement. Maybe your teachers are marking differently or maybe mine are, but in my class / school to get an 80% in history is unheard of.

11 minutes ago, Towhatextent said:

That's really unusual... I'm doing History HL as well and I definitely agree it's one of if not the hardest subject to get a 7 in...but for different reasons. 50% and below on essays has become not just the norm but good! Grade boundaries (http://www.dpcdsb.org/NR/rdonlyres/257D5ECC-B156-4400-B0C7-D765BB3D4855/140115/201405_Grade_Boundaries.pdf) have it listed as requiring a 65% overall to get a 7. Which sounds like a walk in the park. Except its not. Getting above 50% is an achievement. Maybe your teachers are marking differently or maybe mine are, but in my class / school to get an 80% in history is unheard of.

IB History had a syllabus change – first exams are in May 2017 – so it might be easier to score higher marks. That said, I don't think there's any subject in existence that 79% is a 5 and I'd like to think I know, especially since Indonesian B SL has the highest boundaries out of all subjects: 90% for a 7.

3 hours ago, IB`ez said:

IB History had a syllabus change – first exams are in May 2017 – so it might be easier to score higher marks. That said, I don't think there's any subject in existence that 79% is a 5 and I'd like to think I know, especially since Indonesian B SL has the highest boundaries out of all subjects: 90% for a 7.

Well my friend, then my school must be lying to me. Because I am currently sitting on a 6 with 80%. 79% is already a 5.