Tips for English A Lang Lit (HL)

Hi,

So I am 2 months into my IB program (1st year). I take English A LaL at Higher Level, and I was wondering what it really takes to ace this subject (a 7)? 

I would love it if you guys can give me some tips for getting a 7.. What kind of flair or analysis is required to get to that top band? 

P.S: My teacher told me that she never met a person who got a 7 in this subject in her career (except for 1). 

Edited by Ziadbar
  • Like 1

Don't take LangLit, but I know plenty of people in my grade who do and are expected 7s. From what I know:

• Nail your FOA - put time and effort into it and it's possible to get 30/30 or as close to as possible. This will take some stress off you.
  • IOC is super important (well, everything is, but you know what I mean). Take time to practice, ensure you know your texts and their contexts well, and don't just focus on one text because you never know which you'll get.
  • Can't give advice for paper 1, sorry!

Since Paper 2 is the same as for Lit, I can give more advice for this

• Only use two texts in your essays but study for all
  • Read them looking through as many lenses as possible (e.g. focused on a particular theme, through character development, plot, technique, etc)
  • When writing essays make sure you're always focusing on technique -> effect on reader -> what it means for theme
  • When you answer the question, make sure you're covering all aspects of it - the questions tend to be focused on character, theme, etc, and make sure you're aware of that when you write on it.
  • Practice, if possible! You have five other subjects you also have to concentrate on, but if you can find the time, either practice whole essays or individual paragraphs.