Extended Essay Topic??? URGENT

alenarnv

Hello everyone :)

I am currently in eleventh grade and today I have to make a choice on the topic that I will be writing my EE on. The ones that interested me the most were world religions, psychology and language and literature. From what I've read before, a lot of high scores come from language and literature. I am mostly interested in world religions, but I am not sure about how good my supervisor will be and also I am not sure about the criteria for it. For psychology, I heard that it is harder to score good considering the criteria they have for that subject. I am very confused because I do not want to choose something that will make my EE experience awful and will bring my grades down.

Just for reference, my subjects:
SL - Bio, Spanish (Ab initio), Maths (Studies) 

HL - Econ, English A, Psych

Please answer, especially people who have the experience with these specific topics!! I have to submit my choice today :/ 
Thank you!

Wow, that's tough. Guess you guys start really early on EE. We started in the latter part of year one, so we actually had a sense of the specifics of our respective subjects and also had a few months to discover what we were interested about.

Given your current situation, I'd say come up with at least a topic in all three (not RQ, just a topic or an area within the subject you wish to explore). Run them by your advisor or EE coordinator (if you have those, we did here). They helped a massive amount in helping me come up with an appropriate RQ.

From my reading, I actually find language & literature the most consistent subject, where most papers receive a decent grade (B-range), but very good papers are not exactly a dime a dozen. I wrote mine in ITGS, and many of my peers also chose to write theirs in their Group 3 subject. I think group 3 offers a lot of flexibility, and the research is less tedious in a sense (more images/videos/news articles and less research papers and academic journals).

I have absolutely no idea about world religion or psychology, as neither are taught at my school. Honestly, follow your passion, because it'd be pretty hard to write a 4000 word paper otherwise. You'll also probably find it easier if you decide to write your paper in one of your HL courses, as I assume you took them in HL because you have a genuine interest in them and/or you are very good in those subjects.

Just a few thoughts and opinions. Hope I helped. Good luck!!!

• Like 1