History or Economics?

ElizabethMoore

Please help me choose ;)  

8 members have voted

1. 1. History, Economics, or Geography?

Hey guys :) I'm in year 10 right now and aiming for mainly medicine or possibly law school. I'll be taking Chemistry HL and Biology HL/SL; I hear that Chemistry HL is one of the hardest ib subjects and Biology requires a lot of memorizing. So considering the fact that people say History is one of the hardest subjects to get a 7 and takes a lot in general, would this combination be manageable for a good grade? I find History interesting, essay writing is one of my strengths and it helps law admission for a bit I guess? On the other hand, Economics is a much easier subject to secure a 7 in from what I hear, and is less demanding as I already have chem and bio. I'll probably have an easier time doing chem bio econ, and MIGHT manage to get better grades. I like the social part of Economics (history more so), but am really bad with graphs and diagrams (not good at maths either hehe), plus I have no intention in doing business or economics in uni. My school has started on econ yet so I don't know a lot about it but my subject choices are just round the corner :') So would doing History be worth the effort seeing how medical schools look more at your overall grade rather than what humanities subject you choose? And is it true that Economics will be able to boost my overall grade up compared to History? Do medical schools or law schools have a preference between those two subjects and which subject do you think I should choose for a better chance of admission into medical school? Or perhaps Geography would be a better choice for better grades? I find its content interesting too (not keen on map-reading tho) XD I'm open-minded about those three subjects and would really appreciate some suggestions. I'm asking a lot of questions sawry and thanks in advance :)))

Edited by ElizabethMoore

Well, I'm taking HL for Chem, Bio, and History, and I personally love my subjects and think they're fine. Eco HL, from what I've heard, is really tough, and I wouldn't say one is more difficult than the other. In the end, it comes down to your own strengths and weaknesses as to how well you do in them, as well as the work you in. For example, my HLs, whilst frustrating at times (particularly during exams) due to content are in no way my most difficult subjects - French B SL is kicking my butt more than my HLs have been.

Geography is, from what I've heard, pretty straight forward, and there's not much of a difference in between Geography SL and HL, and the content is fine according to people I know (in reference to what I've heard, by the way, it's from people who take both History HL and HL in Eco or Geography - but most of them take only Biology SL in their subjects :D).

In short, go by your own strengths, what you can deal with doing for two years, and basically how you feel about it. Also, I don't think medical schools care so much about your subjects other than the required ones. Law schools, whilst they don't have any requirements, as you said, may prefer History, but all HLHumanities have some degree of essay writing, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks! :) Would anyone mind leaving some advice regarding the difficulty/effort needed for those subjects to get a 7 and usefulness of them in uni admission? Oh and I hear that Geography might be considered a less auspicious subject by universities is that true? o.o

Edited by ElizabethMoore

45 minutes ago, ElizabethMoore said:

Thanks! :) Would anyone mind leaving some advice regarding the difficulty/effort needed for those subjects to get a 7 and usefulness of them in uni admission? Oh and I hear that Geography might be considered a less auspicious subject by universities is that true? o.o

Geography is not seen as a soft subject by universities, as according to my teacher is it one of the "classical social sciences". My friends take Bio, Chem & Geography at HL and find that geography helps them balance their workload. Language B HL is a popular choice, too. 

In terms of workload, I find chemistry easier than biology. Sure, the concepts are a bit harder to grasp, but there is more "connecting the dots" than memorising the content in order to get all the marks in that one essay question. It might be different for you, but it's something I personally like very much. As @apoelloalready mentioned, you should go by your strengths as the subjects should really be something you're passionate about (especially HL since you will have to spend 240 hours on each of them). 

Thanks a ton!!! A few questions:

1. Does Economics rely on a bunch of complicated graphs and diagrams, or more towards essay writing and analysis?

2. Can someone please rank History, Economics and Geography in terms of how well respected they are by universities?

3. How hard are these 3 subjects and what are the workloads and efforts needed respectively for the HL of them?

4. Which of these subjects would be able to balance out the workload of the rigorous chem HL and bio HL?

Edited by ElizabethMoore