Would Math, Chem and Physics HL be manageable?

frchopin

Hello,

I started the IB about 2 months ago and my subjects were English A Lang&Lit HL, Physics HL, Math HL and Chemistry SL, ITGS SL, Turkish A SL. However, I did not feel quite confident with English A HL because English is not my first language, and I couldn't take English B because my school does not allow me to (they say I should challenge myself because that's what the IB wants). I'm not saying my English is so bad that I can't manage English A HL, but I don't feel comfortable with HL so I decided to drop it to SL (being the only one in my school). But I had to take one subject HL instead, so I figured I should take Chem HL. 

Now I know that taking two science subjects HL is really hard especially if you're already taking Math HL. But the only reason why I decided Chem HL might be better for me isn't because I'm afraid of English A, it's also because I can't understand much from the SL Chem teacher. However, the HL Chem teacher is awesome and teaches in an excellent way. I'm not saying that the SL teacher is bad at teaching but the way he teaches just didn't work out for me. Since HL Chem teacher would motivate me more, I thought it might be a good idea to change SL Chem to HL.

I should note that I love sciences and mathematics, but in the IB loving is not enough (as far as I know). There are lots of work to do, and I'm scared taking these three hard subjects (Maths, Physics and Chemistry) might consume me. Whenever I tell someone I'm taking these subjects they tell me I'm crazy and maybe they're right. Chem HL is not a prerequisite for most of the areas I want to study in (though a few of them requires HL Chemistry). So I still can choose lots of areas to study without HL Chemistry.

I already feel really tired because of the pressure on me and the amount of time I have to study even though it's been only 2 months since I started the IB. What do you think? Would English A HL take as much the time Chem HL does? Most people say English A HL is really hard especially if you're not a native speaker. Is it that hard? Or should I give up Chem HL and start taking English A HL again? I'm really confused, and would appreciate a little help.

Thanks

Edited by sayragorgani

That's great! I honestly think there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to do all three HL's, especially if you love the subjects. The way I see it, it's more your mentality about being able to any classes that could potentially bring you down, not your ability to do them. If you think you enjoy math, chem, and physics and would like to take them at the HL level, then definitely go for it and don't bring yourself down by telling yourself you can't do it. Those do sound like really fun subjects, best of luck!!!

• Like 1

I switched to Chemistry HL from English A HL at the start of my second year. 

Chemistry really isn't as hard as people make it sound, and you should definitely go for whichever subject you like best. 

Even a Physics Math Chemistry HL combination is far from being undoable, especially considering how many people are taking it. 

Edited by IB`ez
  • Like 1

Do what you love, I really wanted to do that combination but feared the workload that would come so I dropped chem hl to econ hl. Now I have to pay to change courses and my parents wont do that. So I am stuck with econ HL, which I really dont enjoy and find it quite tedious. Choose what you like and commit yourself to it! Even though it's hard, you are eventually going to do better at something you are movitated to do and enjoy it.

• Like 2

Honestly, I would suggest that you just take the courses that you want to take, as only you can gauge your true ability.  Before I started the IB, I kept hearing from everyone how horribly hard Math HL was, and very nearly went for SL, but I decided to keep it HL in the end.  Now, I'm doing Further Maths because Math HL got too boring for me.  However, I'm seriously struggling with Chinese B SL (I spend almost the same time practicing Chinese as all my other subjects combined), even though everyone said it was an easy course.  Physics and Chemistry HL aren't that hard if you actually like the subjects.  The math portion of both subjects shouldn't be too challenging for you if you're considering Math HL, and the content is fine if you spend some time thinking carefully about it.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mushroom said:

That's great! I honestly think there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to do all three HL's, especially if you love the subjects. The way I see it, it's more your mentality about being able to any classes that could potentially bring you down, not your ability to do them. If you think you enjoy math, chem, and physics and would like to take them at the HL level, then definitely go for it and don't bring yourself down by telling yourself you can't do it. Those do sound like really fun subjects, best of luck!!!

Thank you for your comment! I've never thought about it that way before, the thing you said about our mentality makes sense. Like you said, I actually enjoy math, physics and chem and I think I'm gonna stick with these three :)

8 hours ago, samim said:

Do what you love, I really wanted to do that combination but feared the workload that would come so I dropped chem hl to econ hl. Now I have to pay to change courses and my parents wont do that. So I am stuck with econ HL, which I really dont enjoy and find it quite tedious. Choose what you like and commit yourself to it! Even though it's hard, you are eventually going to do better at something you are movitated to do and enjoy it.

Sorry to hear you can't change your subjects! I think the chance to change subjects should be given to everyone.
I guess you're right, I'll probably be better at something I enjoy even if it's hard. Thank you :)

I personally do 4 HLs including two sciences and maths and it is definitely manageable. As @Emilia1320, @FChaosi_ and others have already mentioned, doing what you love is the most important thing. I know people who chose "easier" subjects as their HLs (like B&M, Geography, and lang B they're fluent in) and they still struggle because the work does not interest them at all and they thought they'd get 7s without any work. 

Don't get me wrong - it definitely won't be a walk in the park. But that's not why you do the IB. You do it to get challenged, to get out of your comfort zone. At time you might feel like it's too much, but in such times remember why you started - there must have been a reason.

A few months into IB and I'm doing better than I did in grade 10 as I can do subjects I have genuine interest in. If you need any more help/have questions, feel free to PM me. 

Good luck.

• Like 1

On 19 Nov 2016 at 10:43 AM, SC2Player said:

Honestly, I would suggest that you just take the courses that you want to take, as only you can gauge your true ability.  Before I started the IB, I kept hearing from everyone how horribly hard Math HL was, and very nearly went for SL, but I decided to keep it HL in the end.  Now, I'm doing Further Maths because Math HL got too boring for me.  However, I'm seriously struggling with Chinese B SL (I spend almost the same time practicing Chinese as all my other subjects combined), even though everyone said it was an easy course.  Physics and Chemistry HL aren't that hard if you actually like the subjects.  The math portion of both subjects shouldn't be too challenging for you if you're considering Math HL, and the content is fine if you spend some time thinking carefully about it.  

You're right, I think I'm gonna stick with Chem, Physics and Maths because I like them anyways :) Thank you for your comment, and how is Further Maths going?

14 hours ago, kanda_sorata said:

Don't worry, just believe in yourself (as much as it sounds cheesy)... Just look at my subject choices - people think I'm insane...But the truth is, I'm doing just fine and I think you really SHOULD challenge yourself - you'll be glad about it when you finish the IB.

Good luck!! :nicole:

Thank you, good luck to you too! Your subjects seem hard but I'm glad to hear you're doing fine :) 

13 hours ago, mac117 said:

I personally do 4 HLs including two sciences and maths and it is definitely manageable. As @Emilia1320, @FChaosi_ and others have already mentioned, doing what you love is the most important thing. I know people who chose "easier" subjects as their HLs (like B&M, Geography, and lang B they're fluent in) and they still struggle because the work does not interest them at all and they thought they'd get 7s without any work. 

Don't get me wrong - it definitely won't be a walk in the park. But that's not why you do the IB. You do it to get challenged, to get out of your comfort zone. At time you might feel like it's too much, but in such times remember why you started - there must have been a reason.

A few months into IB and I'm doing better than I did in grade 10 as I can do subjects I have genuine interest in. If you need any more help/have questions, feel free to PM me. 

Good luck.

Hi, thanks for the comment! I agree with all of you, it's important to do what you like but not what might be easier. Thank you for making me realise that. There are times when I feel like it's too much and I'm sure those times will be more frequent in the future because it's only been a few months since I started the IB. But as you said, there is a reason why I'm doing the IB and I need to keep reminding that reason to myself.

And good luck to you too, 4 HLs is really challenging as far as I know. Hope we'll all be proud once it's finally the end of IB!

• Like 1

On Sunday, November 20, 2016 at 5:37 PM, sayragorgani said:

You're right, I think I'm gonna stick with Chem, Physics and Maths because I like them anyways :) Thank you for your comment, and how is Further Maths going?

Further maths is kinda disappointing tbh - I was expecting a more rigorous course, something along the lines of uni level maths.  I think it would've been better to focus more on one specific option in more depth.  

This may be late but... If you are not the type of student to consistently get a GPA of nearly 7, and if you tend to leave work for later, as most students, THIS WILL TURN YOUR LIFE INTO HELL. It would be a terrible idea. 

If you do not find anything you took in MYP the least bit challenging, go ahead.

Edited by Guest