Historical Investigation

Cheol Ho

Hi! I need to start working on my HI as soon as possible but I'm struggling with the topic.
My interests are Rape of Nanking(Nanking Massacre) and Comfort women.
I had some R.Q. but as I researched I couldn't write about it
My R.Q. are:
To what extent was the rape of Nanking and Anti-Japanise in international press drove colonial Japan to establish comfort stations
To what extent how did rape of Nanking lead Japan to surrender in WW2 
To what extent rape of Nanking affected on Korea
To what extent rape of Nanking had benefits on Japan's army.
I tried to stay on those R.Q. but I don't think I can use those. (If you guys think any one of those are fine please give me feedback)
What else can be topic for my HI about rape of nanking and comfort stations. I can not think of any more topic and I need to start working on ASAP.
Please help me to find my HI topic

They all should be fine as long as you have access to the information needed to complete your research. 

Personally, I like "To what extent how did rape of Nanking lead Japan to surrender in WW2" best as it provides a definite end point. It also allows you to deal with other causes for the Japanese surrender, which could, in theory, allow you to throw in some historiography (something most teachers and examiners like to see). 

With the other questions, you might want to put some dates (or event such as 'during WWII' in the question in order to provide a time frame. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, IB_taking_over said:

They all should be fine as long as you have access to the information needed to complete your research. 

Personally, I like "To what extent how did rape of Nanking lead Japan to surrender in WW2" best as it provides a definite end point. It also allows you to deal with other causes for the Japanese surrender, which could, in theory, allow you to throw in some historiography (something most teachers and examiners like to see). 

With the other questions, you might want to put some dates (or event such as 'during WWII' in the question in order to provide a time frame. 

For the R.Q "To what extent how did rape of Nanking lead Japan to surrender in WW2", if it is not a major reason why Japan surrendered in WW2, is it still okay to talk about for HI? Also, I did research on effects of rape of Nanking, I didn't find any facts that rape of Nanking caused entrance of U.S. or any facts that might lead Japan to surrender in WW2. 

To what extent was the rape of Nanking and Anti-Japanise in international press drove colonial Japan to establish comfort stations  <-- how are you going to make an argumentative essay on this? 
To what extent how did rape of Nanking lead Japan to surrender in WW2  <-- how do you avoid guesswork on this? It happened 8 years ago. No historiography on the subject suggests a link.
To what extent rape of Nanking affected on Korea  <-- ....how?
To what extent rape of Nanking had benefits on Japan's army. <-- you are just adding "to what extent" to every single title...for what reason? 

None of these are doable in anyway if you want a good grade. If you definitely want the rape of Nanking, some possible topics to consider
- the Rape of Nanking and its effect on Chinese WW2 propaganda
- functionalist vs intentionalist debate on Rape of Nanking
- causes of the Rape of Nanking (narrow it down a bit if you wish)
Edited by Empiral