How are these subjects like?

ElizabethMoore

Some opinion please ;)  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Easiest / least workload

2. 2. Most highly regarded

3. 3. What would you recommend overall for someone taking chem bio hl and aiming for medi? Which one balances workload and being regarded by unis the most?

1. How would you rank geography, economics and history in terms of difficulty and workload (especially with chem hl and bio hl)? (1-easiest, 3-most difficult)

2. How would you rank these subjects in terms of being more highly regarded by universities? (1-most highly regarded, 3-least highly regarded)

3. Which subject is harder, History HL or English HL? If I do choose History, I'll need to push either to HL, and I'm quite worried about the workload of all HLs combined together.

Edited by ElizabethMoore

It's really difficult to answer questions such as these, as they often depend on the individual and their own strengths and weaknesses. For example, I know many people find Language B easy, but for me, it's my hardest subject to score well in, though its workload is minimal in comparison to other subjects.

I wouldn't say one subject is more highly regarded by universities than another, but rather, it depends on your course, and if it's not a requirement/not a subject like law in which essays are preferred, I don't think it matters so much.

Doing History, Chemistry, and Biology is not an issue for the majority of the year (personally, at least). It was more just balancing all IB subjects in general that was difficult. The frustrating part will come in during exams in which you realise how much content you need to know.

Good luck!

As someone who's also taking BioChem HLs with Economics as the third one, I can safely say that I really wish I took History instead. Unfortunately, it wasn't offered to my grade level due to lack of demand for it.

Economics doesn't seem that hard for most people but I personally find it one of the harder subjects I'm taking. 

A former senior of mine took Biology, Chemistry, History HLs, yet on top of that, took English Lit, a second language Langlit, and didn't take Maths Studies, and she was able to bear the workload – even being predicted a 42/45. Validation for her efforts came in the form of being accepted into Medicine at UCL. From talking to her, she definitely didn't regret her subject combination and genuinely enjoyed all her subjects. It all comes down to your work ethic and what you enjoy the most.

Edited by IB`ez
  • Like 1