Subject choice help!

Jon-not a fan-

Hello!

I'm currently in the process of choosing and submitting my IB options. I will take HL Economics, HL Physics, Chinese B higher. I am also taking SL Eng lang and lit and SL maths. 2 things:

1. Should I take SL psychology or SL geography. Would like to know which one is more suited for what type of students, percentages of achieving certain levels and any other advice.

2. I want to take something along the lines of business administration or economics. My maths teachers say that the most appropriate maths course for me is SL maths, though I can do HL maths if I want to. Do many universities with those courses require HL maths?

Edited by Jon-not a fan-

On 22/11/2016 at 11:17 PM, Jon-not a fan- said:

Hello!

I'm currently in the process of choosing and submitting my IB options. I will take HL Economics, HL Physics, Chinese B higher. I am also taking SL Eng lang and lit and SL maths. 2 things:

1. Should I take SL psychology or SL geography. Would like to know which one is more suited for what type of students, percentages of achieving certain levels and any other advice.

2. I want to take something along the lines of business administration or economics. My maths teachers say that the most appropriate maths course for me is SL maths, though I can do HL maths if I want to. Do many universities with those courses require HL maths?

Hello there. 

I can only answer Question 2 because I have never taken Psychology or Geography. If you want to do something on the lines of business administration or economics, it depends on which universities you are applying to. Some universities (especially in the UK), requires HL Maths when it comes to something like Economics and Finance, Accounting and Finance, etc, but for most Business programs, the minimal requirement is SL Math. It really depends on which university you are applying to, so go onto search at UCAS to find out for each university. For the US, I think SL Math is enough. (If somebody else knows the answer, do correct me if I am wrong). 

Last but not the least, Hong Kong universities because I see you are from Hong Kong (?). Hong Kong universities have fewer requirements when it comes to Non-Jupas admission. I have applied for BBA programs in Hong Kong with only SL Maths, all of the universities accepted my mathematical level being at Standard Level. If you want any specific requirements of universities, check on their websites or go to open days (if you are in each respective countries).

Hope I can help with your question, and good luck with your subject choices. 

Edited by inriya
  • Like 2