Where can I go if I have bad grades and not good at my academics

Aquilina

Hi, guys

I am really worried about myself :( It's my first semester in DP and at first I did not get used to the system. So I got very poor scores at first but my scores improved in this semester. I think maybe I am getting a 7 in maths, 6 or 7 in chem, 5 or 6 in English and 6 for history. Perhaps I can get 7s for Spanish and Design tech, but I am really not sure because they say it's very hard to get 7 in DT. I am not a student with top grades, strong competitions and sports. I could only write some blog posts about chemistry and draw some science illustrations. I am only good at drawing. That's all. So I wonder if there's gonna be some universities that want me :( 

Some of my chemical element graphics attached below. Univs not gonna look at them. All they care are grades and recommendations and things like that...

cv_elements_gold.jpg

cv_elements_Lithium.jpg

You can go to the Land of the Free aka the USA.

All about holistic applications – the grades you've got are really competitive for even the best US schools as they are grades in IB courses, after all. Just write out a good essay application, join up some extracurriculars, and you can get into those schools.

Even with a 37/42 overall, so assuming the worst case scenario for the grades you stated, you would be approximately in the 92nd percentile of all IB students (less than 8% of students have the same or higher IB scores than you). The average IB score for most Ivy League schools are between 37-39/45, and the very fact that you're within that range means you're amongst the top academic students in the world. And to put things in another perspective, the competitive IB score for the top Canadian universities: Waterloo, McGill, and Queens, is between 34-36/45. So don't call what you have "not top scores", if you don't mind.

Edit: Those pictures are extremely nice and unique – most US universities offer the option of using Slideshare as a means of sending them supplementary works, whether it be extra recommendation letters/special awards or achievements/artworks that showcase your talent. 

Edited by IB`ez

13 minutes ago, Aquilina said:

I am not sure because I am a junior at the first semester of DP. I heard that the courses will become harder and harder as I go on...

So long as you put in the effort, approx. 1 hour of work everyday, you'll be in good shape.

It's not impossible to maintain those grades from first semester of DP1, or even improve them ie.  I went from averaging 3s and 4s in DP1 to having more 7s than 6s in my term grade atm halfway through DP2.

Avoid the pessimistic outlook – take things in stride and just avoid slacking off!