ECF in Marking

IB`NOT`ez

Hi,

I'd just like to ask if anyone knows whether ECF is completely applied throughout a Chemistry Paper 2 and/or 3. 

In the marking notes of the Specimen Paper 2016, the following is stated: 

1. Occasionally, a part of a question may require an answer that is required for subsequent marking points. If an error is made in the first marking point then it should be penalized. However, if the incorrect answer is used correctly in subsequent marking points then follow through marks should be awarded. When marking, indicate this by adding ECF (error carried forward) on the script. “ECF acceptable” will be displayed in the “Notes” column.

However, nowhere can I find an "ECF acceptable" note anywhere on the "Notes" column for any question whatsoever in HL Paper 2 and 3. For example, if I got the equation for a combustion reaction wrong, but then used the correct enthalpy of formation values for that wrong equation, and then used that enthalpy value for a further Gibbs Free Energy question, will I have ECF applied? The same goes for if I got a wrong value for concentration or whatnot in the Specimen Paper 2 in the initial Titration question, but then used it incorrectly etc. 

Thank you for your time, will appreciate any clarification with regards to this. 

I would like to say that the reason why there is a lot of ECF in math is because there is significant time pressure in both SL and HL. Usually if you study well, there is not nearly as much time pressure in chemistry paper 2 and 3. Therefore IB is nowhere near as generous in marking. The expectation is that you take your time to check over your work (as opposed to spending too long on questions you don't know answers to right away). If you have not seen "ECF acceptable" noted, then it is wise to ensure you have the right equation to work with. 

4 hours ago, kw0573 said:

I would like to say that the reason why there is a lot of ECF in math is because there is significant time pressure in both SL and HL. Usually if you study well, there is not nearly as much time pressure in chemistry paper 2 and 3. Therefore IB is nowhere near as generous in marking. The expectation is that you take your time to check over your work (as opposed to spending too long on questions you don't know answers to right away). If you have not seen "ECF acceptable" noted, then it is wise to ensure you have the right equation to work with. 

Ah alright, thanks. Still sounds a little harsh to me, but if that's really the case, then I'll need to work harder in solidifying the fundamentals.