How do I redeem myself as a Math Studies student?

Aravind

As a former Math SL student, I was struggling under a not-so-great teacher and (to a larger extent) general laziness. I found myself uninterested in the subject and decided that since I was going to be pursuing the Humanities for higher ed anyway, I wouldn't be needing Math; I ended up dropping down to Studies. Now that I'm into Philosophy, however, I've gained a newfound passion for the subject. I'm not "good" at math, per se, but I'm fairly logical and have been known to work some problems out more efficiently and faster than Math HL students in my grade, and am able to perform some of the same numerical operations they require a calculator for in my head. The difference is that I never had a mathematical mindset up until now, whereas they're pretty gifted in that field. 

What I want is some way to "redeem" myself in the eyes of college admissions officers. I was thinking of perhaps taking an AP Calculus AB exam or something (I'm full IB, but my course-load is easy-ish), which works out perfectly, since I'm already going to be writing an extra Physics 1 exam anyway. What would you guys suggest?

Edited by Aravind

I can relate to some extent as well, as I've also discovered a sudden passion for Mathematics since the start of my last year in high school. Really regret not having been interested in the subject in the past since if I dedicated myself enough to build a strong foundation, I might be in HL Maths by now. But, the past is the past, and I can still make amends by achieving the highest level in SL Maths. 

AP Calculus AB exam sounds good, although I recommend taking the SAT Maths I or even Maths II as further proof of your mathematical abilities. 

But also, ask yourself do you really need to redeem yourself in Mathematics if you're already going to go to a humanities course?

Of course, there's nothing wrong with personal satisfaction, and imo it's a really good thing that you have this sudden interest in Maths. As you've said, if you don't feel like this will severely hamper your studies, then you should definitely take this opportunity to achieve something great in Maths before you dedicate yourself to a specific humanities course (although keep in mind some humanities subjects such as Economics actually require superb Mathematics skills). 

Edited by IB`ez