How to manage IB stress/are the exams really that hard?

gin_evra

Hi guys, I'm doing the first year of the IB diploma (11), and I'm finding it really stressful, especially because of the distance with my family (they live in another country).

I have just finished my first exams, not the IB ones, and I get all 6 and one 5. The thing is that I don't know if I'm able to continue with this program until year 12. I don't know how to manage all the stress.

The thing that really scares me are the exams, I don't want to study so hard these two years and then fail... Are the exams really that hard?

My subjects are:

HL: geography, English B, Litterature A

SL: math studies, Biology, Spanish ab initio 

• Like 1

I don't personally think final exams are any different from the exams you do at the end of the year, it's just whether you end up psyching yourself out because final exams actually count. In the end, exams are up to two things: hard work and luck. If you have put even a bit of effort into studying the content, then you should be able to dredge up at least some knowledge on any of the topics you've covered before - I've found that with biology in particular.

That's not to say exams aren't stressful. For the majority of people they are, and they're supposed to be, but that shouldn't scare you off. Basically everyone sitting exams, regardless of their predicted grades, is going to be stressed, and carries the same fears, and I think it's important to recognise that because (personally) it takes some of the stress off your shoulders, knowing everyone is stressed.

In terms of managing stress, I'd recommend:

• Ensuring you're studying effectively and, if possible, regularly. If you can work out how best you can study, that'll really help. For me, writing out information again and again helps me remember information, which is how I studied. I'd basically rewrite my notes three times throughout the two years, and then I made summaries in the three weeks before exams. Other people learn differently. If you've managed to study the content right before, your stress should decrease as you know you know at least some information you've studied. It's not always possible to study regularly, especially in the first half of IB2, but you can at least try and study in the way that suits you and allows you to retain information.
  • Take days off. If you're constantly wound up and stressed, you're not going to remember anything, which is just going to stress you out more. Give yourself one night off every week to do whatever you want. Watch a movie or TV show, read a book, most importantly relax and forget about IB temporarily.
  • Keep in contact with friends and family. I can sympathise with you, being distant from family, even empathise to some extent since my dad's had to live in another city due to work, but take time to talk to them about what you're worried about and such. It's really stereotypical advice, and it doesn't necessarily work for everyone, but if it helps, then allow yourself to tell people how you're feeling.
  • Eat chocolate! I'm not even kidding, chocolate can be seriously good for stress. Just don't eat too much :)

Stress is good, in moderation - it forces us to work and increases productivity. You need to have a little stress to get things done. However, you need to prevent yourself from crossing the boundary between healthy and detrimental stress. A big thing about stress also tends to be confident. In the end, if you've worked as hard as you know you can, have confidence in your abilities. When it comes to the five minutes before final exams that'll all you'll be able to do. You can do this! :D

Your subjects are perfectly fine. I was really stressed at the start of my IB and you really do get used to it. The best part is that because of the work you get, the year seems to go by incredibly quickly. You may have heard your teachers say that it passes by quickly... I laughed at them because I thought they were just trying to make us feel better, but now that 1 and a half years have gone by in a flash for me, guess who was right?

As far as workload and exams go, don't worry about it. You're still near the start and you've got a lot to learn, you'll be fine in the exams. Also, they feel exactly like mock exams that you most likely would have done in previous years. A lot of the course is assessed on IAs and other assignments, so don't worry about it. That should relieve a bit of the stress about the exams.

If you're really feeling stressed, speak to your school counsellor if you need advice on stress management. It looks like you're doing really well though considering they're your first exams. Keep going.

Good luck in the IB.

• Like 1

Thank you for the answers... I'm feeling quite better, but I really can't stop to think that there is the possibility of a failure. The thing is that I don't want to put so much effort into something and then fail, especially if this thing is going to conditionate my future. 

I already spoke with someone in my school about this, but they all say the same thing, to study, relax, and bla bla bla, but it actually do not work, because my biggest fear is to find something in the exam that I'm not able to answer even if I really studied during the 2 years..

Thank you for the answers... I'm feeling quite better, but I really can't stop to think that there is the possibility of a failure. The thing is that I don't want to put so much effort into something and then fail, especially if this thing is going to conditionate my future. 

I already spoke with someone in my school about this, but they all say the same thing, to study, relax, and bla bla bla, but it actually do not work, because my biggest fear is to find something in the exam that I'm not able to answer even if I really studied during the 2 years..

2 hours ago, gin_evra said:

Trust me, I know exactly how you feel. But look, you're in such a good position! Your exams resulted in great marks, so you are definitely capable of doing it. As long as you keep up the good work, the regular (but not overwhelming) studying and the effort, it'll all turn out to be fine in the end. Go back to your tests and assignments, pick out the areas you're not too familiar with, and if you'd like, talk to your teacher to see how you can improve it. Or you can simply just review it yourself, so that next time you come across it, you would have familiarised yourself with the topic and it won't come as a surprise or difficulty to you. Keep doing this throughout the IB so you'll keep reducing the chances of coming across something unfamiliar in future exams/assignments. You're doing perfectly fine though, all 6s and one 5 for the first exams of the IB is great.

My exams are coming up in May and I've got the same stressed feeling as you, we all do! Everyone has a fear of coming across something and having their mind go blank, in fact that's happened to me on almost all my Sports Exercise and Health Science tests. I've promised myself I'll be revising through it a lot though so I can be more confident and hopefully improve. If you ever feel like you wouldn't be confident with some course material if you came across it on a test, just go through it on a regular basis so it becomes easy and natural.

One more thing, the final exams will not condition your future! Especially since universities tend to look at predicted grades, and those are quite easy to maintain and improve, unlike exams where you have one shot, hit or miss. Keep working and putting in the effort in these 2 years and it'll be a breeze.

Take care and hope I helped ease the stress a bit :)