Double HL Sciences - Chemistry and Biology

studiousshaz

So I'm currently a sophomore in the pre-IB program, about to pick my courses for the next two years. For some reason (read: Because of low budgets), my school STRONGLY discourages taking two HL sciences. They tell us that the workload is too excessive and so it is not recommended, but it is still an option. The problem is, I've always been strongly inclined towards the sciences, and my future career aspirations involve both a strong base of both Biology and Chemistry.

So my question is, should I follow my initial goal to take HL Bio and HL Chem or play it safe like everyone wants me to do? I really don't have a problem with the anticipated workload and I'm pretty good at managing my time effectively; however, all this fear-mongering has me questioning if I can achieve a 7 in both subjects, as well as stay active with extra-curriculars and volunteering that I am very involved in (and of course, have some semblance of a social life).

By the way, I'm also planning on taking HL English, SL Math, SL Economics, and SL French. I might have to switch to HL Business if I decide to cave into the pressure of 1 HL and 1 SL science, since our school doesn't offer HL Math or HL French (...I know, right? we got no options).

Advice would be appreciated!

I think there's a good number of people on this site who will tell you that their two HL science subjects are the easiest.

It's not right for your school to discourage students from pursuing what they're interested in. If you have a strong base in the sciences and feel you can handle the workload, go for it. It's really not that hard and in most cases, the difficulty is over-exaggerated in my opinion.

That said, the new science syllabus does make it a little more difficult to get 7s than in the past. That said, it's not impossible – but still try to avoid letting your desire for grades influence your subject choices too much.