Urgent - Violation of my rights.

d123

Hello,

The final deadline for our EE is in 3 days. I am doing my EE on Human Rights and I finished it. Yesterday, I was a bit curious and found a Subject Report from 2009 where it said that I cannot do my EE in the topic that I have. I did it on this topic because my last supervisor (he left) told me that it was a good topic for the subject, I event went to NYC to do some research. I was really concern and went to my IB Coordinator, she had a meeting with the EE Coordinator and the Principal of the school. Today, they told me that they decided to not give an extension because I waited until the last minute to tell them (I did not that I cannot do my EE on that topic) and that they would give these three days to do a new EE and would also give me "privilige" to not go to class and work on it.

It means that in three days I have to find a new topic, I have to do research and I have to write my whole EE. This is completely insane, I talked to my parents who live abroad (I study in an international and boarding school) and they will e-mail the school. However, I would like to know if there is any guidelines or anything related to this specific issue that I can bring to them and tell them that this is unfair and that they cannot do this to me. There is also the fact that I have IOC and TOK presentation in a few days.

I would really appreciate if you know anything from the IB that can help to defend my position, or any advice that you have. I am really desperate, please.

Thank you.

That is absolutely ridiculous. I think that common sense proves that it's awfully unfair. Students are given months to work on their EE for a reason and you were told your topic was completely fine. Have you told them the whole story about how your supervisor assured you it was a good topic and that you knew nothing negative about your choice? If it is possible, try contacting the Director or Headmaster of the school and seeing what can be done because I'm sorry, no one can finish an EE in 3 days... what a joke.

I'm really sorry this has happened to you, and you also went out of your way to research in NYC... maybe you can have an attempt at writing one and people will know it's not your fault if it's not the best quality. Find an easy topic, one that you really like and know from your HL courses and just work your hardest for the next few days. After all, it's 4,000 words which can be done, however it's very hard. Just focus on writing it to the best of your abilities. That way, in 3 days at least you'll have something and you can then see what you can do about your denied EE. I just can't wrap my head around how ridiculous your Principal is being.

Good luck. Get started now and you'll be able to produce a good piece of work.

Sadly, it appears you are mostly out of luck.

According to the 2013 EE guide "It is required that students: ... choose a topic that fits into one of the subjects on the approved extended essay list (in the Vade Mecum)." [Page 6 of the EE guide for first exams in 2013] It would appear that no IB rules/guidelines will actually help your case. In fact, they appear to defend your school's position. 

It's a rough spot to be in, but three days is still enough time to write an EE. 

Best of Luck, IB_taking_over

You should use the latest edition of the EE guide, published 2011 for first examinations 2013. It is possible that the criteria have changed since 2009 and now. One way if you are sure that your topic doesn't work is to see if you can use data you have collected to answer an alternative, acceptable research question. 

EDIT: Changes to the EE subject (eg from Human Rights to World Studies) will incur a fee of US$36. 

Edited by kw0573

Thank you so much for your answers, I really appreciate the time you took to comment! At the end they did not give an extention, which was totally unfair. However, I managed to finish a new EE with just a few hour of sleep in these three days.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, d123 said:

Thank you so much for your answers, I really appreciate the time you took to comment! At the end they did not give an extention, which was totally unfair. However, I managed to finish a new EE with just a few hour of sleep in these three days.

I still find it unbelievable. Just completely ridiculous how inconsiderate they are of you and your time. I'm really glad you managed to produce a new one though, great job :) At least it's over now!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, d123 said:

Seriously I was so worried about you and I'm glad you finished it. You should be proud of yourself for doing such amount of work in just a short period of time.

• Like 1