Group 4 subject choice - HELP

clofta

Hello people, 

So I started the IB this September and I chose Physics SL as a science. I want to go into social science, so I just chose the experimental one that I disliked the least.

I'm actually a good physics student, but I hate my teacher and I don't think I can handle his classes for much longer. 

So, I've been thinking about moving to Bio SL/ ESS because the teachers are amazing and they might make me like the subjects (that happened with math - in the 9th grade I hated it, but then I got a good teacher and am now doing HL :lol:

What do I do? Is SL Bio easy? Is ESS too easy (I heard it was kind of made fun of and frowned upon by universities)?

Thank you, fellow martyrs!

Hope your IB experience has been good so far.

I can't really help you with ESS as my school doesn't offer it :/ But seeing as you want to study social science, ESS may be a more suitable subject to study in the IB. Biology SL is liked by many of my friends. I've heard good things about it and it seems to be an interesting and decent subject. Certainly not too difficult and it includes a variety of topics covered throughout the course. That, of course, depends on your interests and whether you actually enjoy Biology. I'm like you, but I'm not going for any scientific field in university. In fact my plans are quite the opposite, I'm going for design :P But I had to choose one Group 4 course so I chose Sports Exercise and Health Science which I've enjoyed for the most part (I'm not that good at the tests, but it's been bearable). 

What I suggest is asking around, ask your friends, whoever you can find that take Biology and ESS and discuss the courses with them. How are they finding them? What topics are they covering? You can even talk to your IB coordinator to help you decide what to do.

Hope I helped a bit and good luck in the IB :)

Edited by sodonewithib

3 hours ago, clofta said:

Thanks! I'm goint to talk to my DP coordinator, I just have to find a very polite way to tell her my physics teacher is an a-hole 😂

Haha! To be honest, most DP coordinators understand if you give them a good reason why you may feel uncomfortable or unhappy in a class. Just explain that you'd prefer doing something else and they'd be happy to switch your courses. Also remember that you're going to have to catch up on the work you've missed!

I'm happy I helped :P