Antigone In Class Essay Prep

Andy K.

Hey!

Just quickly, our english class has an in class essay on Antigone tomorrow. :(

This is our first in class essay of the year with no revealed question (We are not told the question)

So, I want to ask you...what is the most effective way of preparing for an inclass essay on Antigone without knowing the question?

*Some ideas would give me a great boost (Areas such as theme, characterization, literary devices??)

Thanks a lot, much appreciated!

1 hour ago, Andy K. said:

Hey!

Just quickly, our english class has an in class essay on Antigone tomorrow. :(

This is our first in class essay of the year with no revealed question (We are not told the question)

So, I want to ask you...what is the most effective way of preparing for an inclass essay on Antigone without knowing the question?

*Some ideas would give me a great boost (Areas such as theme, characterization, literary devices??)

Thanks a lot, much appreciated!

Wow you guys are reading the Antigone :o (I read it for first year poli sci and wrote my term paper on it) 

Ok so since you do get the question on the spot, your teacher will consider the time pressure. I would look at key themes (for example, you have the conflict between divine law and state law, you have family loyalty vs. loyalty to the state, you have gender) and also examine the development of major characters such as Antigone and Creon. Mark down key quotes that pertain to key themes and motifs and also quotes that pertain to the development of Antigone and Creon as individuals. If you can, also look at minor characters because minor characters could be fair game for an IB English essay. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ShootingStar16 said:

Wow you guys are reading the Antigone :o (I read it for first year poli sci and wrote my term paper on it) 

Ok so since you do get the question on the spot, your teacher will consider the time pressure. I would look at key themes (for example, you have the conflict between divine law and state law, you have family loyalty vs. loyalty to the state, you have gender) and also examine the development of major characters such as Antigone and Creon. Mark down key quotes that pertain to key themes and motifs and also quotes that pertain to the development of Antigone and Creon as individuals. If you can, also look at minor characters because minor characters could be fair game for an IB English essay. 

Hey, thank you for the reply!

Yes, I am currently focus on the character developments and themes, but just wondering, do you think that there is a fair chance for a question pertaining to the chorus or major literary devices (such as irony in many of Creon's dialogues) 

Btw, we will be given 2 q's to choose from 

Thanks for this!

38 minutes ago, Andy K. said:

Hey, thank you for the reply!

Yes, I am currently focus on the character developments and themes, but just wondering, do you think that there is a fair chance for a question pertaining to the chorus or major literary devices (such as irony in many of Creon's dialogues) 

Btw, we will be given 2 q's to choose from 

Thanks for this!

Yeah I think that's fair game as well so good to look into that and do some annotations 

No problem :)