IB requirements for studying law

hjon

IB requirements for studying law

So first off, I'm dumb alright... Well at least I can take IB in the end, but I was just wondering if my choices were acceptable for studying law? Thanks :)

SL English Lit

HL Chinese 

SL History

HL physics

SL Biology OR HL DT Human Factors / CADCAM

SL Math Studies

Yea, I know it's better off choosing HL for History and English, but the problem is that I can't! I'm not that smart... but yea, it's kinda urgent, so I would appreciate your comment :) 

Hey @hjon,

It would help you if you already research the universities you may be thinking about in the future and seeing what their particular requirements are. Just a quick Google search for you led me to Cambridge's site (http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/law) and the IB requirements for them are 40-41 points with a higher-level course that is essay-based (eg. English Literature, Lang Lit, etc). Another search led me to Oxford's site (https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses-listing/law-jurisprudence?wssl=1) and their law course requirements are 38 points with HL grades as 6, 6, 6. So your courses seem fine! As long as you feel you can achieve good grades, put in the effort and choose subjects that you find interesting so you'll do well in them, your choices are good. If prestigious universities are only demanding an "essay-based subject", then I'm quite confident other universities will be the same if not more lenient.

What I would recommend is do what I did and generally see what the overall requirements are from several universities. Even have a talk about it with your academic counsellor at your school to help guide you. I know a couple people in my year applying for law and they take Math Studies, SL Biology and similar courses to what you have chosen.

Looks good so far! Good luck in the IB :) Hope I helped!

Edited by sodonewithib
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, sodonewithib said:

Hey @hjon,

It would help you if you already research the universities you may be thinking about in the future and seeing what their particular requirements are. Just a quick Google search for you led me to Cambridge's site (http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/law) and the IB requirements for them are 40-41 points with a higher-level course that is essay-based (eg. English Literature, Lang Lit, etc). So your courses seem fine! If a prestigious university is only demanding an "essay-based subject", then I'm quite confident other universities will be the same.

What I would recommend is do what I did and generally see what the overall requirements are from several universities. Even have a talk about it with your academic counsellor at your school to help guide you. I know a couple people in my year applying for law and they take Math Studies, SL Biology and similar courses to what you have chosen.

Looks good so far! Good luck in the IB :) Hope I helped!

@sodonewithib man, you made my day! So glad to hear that my courses looks fine haha! I'll keep you up to date on what's going on, since the deadline for the choices is on this friday (2/12/2016)

Thanks! :)

Just now, hjon said:

@sodonewithib man, you made my day! So glad to hear that my courses looks fine haha! I'll keep you up to date on what's going on, since the deadline for the choices is on this friday (2/12/2016)

Thanks! :)

I'm glad I helped! :D Remember to have a chat with your teachers as they definitely know more than me, haha! Also, don't stress too much on picking the perfect courses now, you can always change at the start of the IB if you're unhappy with them or if you've changed your mind.

Take care!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hjon said:

@sodonewithib thank you so much! 

So one last question, is choosing DT suitable for law?

Thanks

No problem at all! I wouldn't necessarily say it's suitable but it doesn't really matter because of the reasons discussed earlier :P If it interests you, great! That way you're more likely to do well in it and therefore it'll look better in your predicteds and apps.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi hjon, 

Universities don't have any requirements when it comes to law, however it is important to remember that law is a very demanding course that requires a lot of reading and essay writing! So taking English as an HL would probably be preferred by universities. I personally am pursuing a career in law and the subjects that i'm taking are 

HL English Language and Literature 

HL History 

HL Psychology 

HL Biology 

SL Math Studies

SL Arabic B

If you really are thinking of law as a future career then you will need to have a strong base with language and be comfortable with essay writing and arguing your point with evidence, which is what HL history will give you . 

Psychology HL is also useful for law, as it is very much an essay based course which would be useful as well. 

The only thing i would advise is to switch History to HL (If still possible). And the rest of your subjects are fine, and don't worry about Math Studies, it is completely fine for law. I  know some people who got accepted to Oxford Law School with Math studies. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bdfan123 said:

Hi hjon, 

Universities don't have any requirements when it comes to law, however it is important to remember that law is a very demanding course that requires a lot of reading and essay writing! So taking English as an HL would probably be preferred by universities. I personally am pursuing a career in law and the subjects that i'm taking are 

HL English Language and Literature 

HL History 

HL Psychology 

HL Biology 

SL Math Studies

SL Arabic B

If you really are thinking of law as a future career then you will need to have a strong base with language and be comfortable with essay writing and arguing your point with evidence, which is what HL history will give you . 

Psychology HL is also useful for law, as it is very much an essay based course which would be useful as well. 

The only thing i would advise is to switch History to HL (If still possible). And the rest of your subjects are fine, and don't worry about Math Studies, it is completely fine for law. I  know some people who got accepted to Oxford Law School with Math studies. 

Very well said. And you're completely right about the Math Studies, in my tiny class, there are two people wanting to get into law school and are completely capable of doing so because they take English A Lang Lit HL and other essay-based subjects.