IB SL Maths Exploration on correlation

EEandTOKforlife

Hi All,

I have a question about the IB SL Maths exploration. I have done my exploration on statistics and more specifically the correlation between two variables. However, I wonder if correlation is too basic in on order to be able to achieve a decent mark and therefore wonder whether I should redo it.

Thanks in advance.

Doing a basic correlation is not enough. You can make it a little better by doing an interpolation / extrapolation. To go further, you can try to determine which points are outliers (perhaps you have some obvious ones on the graph) and remove them and then rerun the regression without them. Outliers greatly affect the equation of the linear regression and you should see a clear difference. If you can discuss the reason for these outliers in great depth and make them relevant to your exploration, then your exploration can be considered as showing good understanding of math.

Hope this helps.

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 7:46 AM, IB Math Helper said:

Doing a basic correlation is not enough. You can make it a little better by doing an interpolation / extrapolation. To go further, you can try to determine which points are outliers (perhaps you have some obvious ones on the graph) and remove them and then rerun the regression without them. Outliers greatly affect the equation of the linear regression and you should see a clear difference. If you can discuss the reason for these outliers in great depth and make them relevant to your exploration, then your exploration can be considered as showing good understanding of math.

Hope this helps.

Thank you, much appreciated!