Geography IA Migration???

Amrutha Lakshmi

Hi 

I am a HL Geography Student and we started thinking about what we should do for our IAs today. And I was suggesting the push and pull factors of migration within an international company to my teacher. But she sounded unsure about whether we could do it or not because she apparently read some where that it is not encouraged that we do Populations in Transition. She did say that she will find out if it is a possible idea or not but I wanted to do my own research. If anyone of you have done your IA on Migration please share your experience. Also I am looking for Human Geography IA ideas however, we are very limited because I stay in a very isolated country which does not have much tourism or sporting facilities which is also making it really hard to choose optional chapters. 

Thank You 

Dear Amrutha,

It is definitely possible to do an internal assessment on migration (or another topic from Populations in Transition). It may however be that the IB does not encourage this, because of:

• inappropriate assignments submitted by other candidates in the years before
  • the difficulty of collecting primary data for this topic

These are the reasons I suspect, so they may be different from what your teacher finds out for you.

Both of these reasons, however, do not rule out doing an internal assessment on the Populations section (though I believe that this section has been overdone, so you may want to find an interesting angle to your investigation that is unlikely to have been previously investigated). Nevertheless, you should be able to select an appropriate subtopic , explore relevant theories studied in your course (eg. Lee model of pull and push factors, Zipf's inverse distance law of migration, Earnst ravenstein Pattern of migration, and Stouffer model of intervening opportunities) and find a suitable method of investigation.

BTW, what options are you studying?

As you're from Brunei, you may be able to do an IA on the options: coastal margins, extreme environments, hazards and disasters, or you could do something related to urban environments, which should be possible in most places no matter the geographical limitations.