IA Topic Help

leviosa

Helloo 

I had an idea for my sl math IA topic but wanted some input on whether or not its doable/appropriate before I hand in my proposal. So I was planning on exploring if there is a correlation between a country's Gini Coeffcient ( http://www.investopedia.com/terms/g/gini-index.asp ) and their overall stock market trends. Let me know what you think, I need any and all advice! Thanks in advance :)

What do you mean by "overall stock market trend"? If you're doing a correlation between the Gini-coefficient vs "overall stock market trend", you need a number for both. For example if you take a country like Finland, its Gini co-efficient is 0.271. However, what is it's corresponding "overall stock market trend"? This trend is not a number and therefore cannot be plotted on a graph and consequently the correlation co-efficient between these two variables cannot be found.

A different variable to use might be the country's GDP in a given year. This is a fixed number and thus can be plotted with its respective Gini co-efficient to find a correlation co-efficient.

Hope this helps.