How do I show interest in Criminology?

alexalexalex

Hello! 

So I've been quite interested in studying criminology. I find it incredibly interesting and I spend countless of hours watching videos etc about it and I really think that it is something I could enjoy studying at uni a lot! 

my question is, when applying to uni, how do I show that I am interested in it? Since we have to write a personal statement, I need to find things to prove how interested I am in it. I am going to order books about it etc but I can't really think of anything else to do? (As my school doesn't have anything even close to related to criminology and I don't speak the national language of the country I am currently living in). 

Also, I was earlier interested in studying Physics (as of my IB subjects), and I did internship thingys, was in a Physics clubs etc, should I put that in my personal statement or not? 

Thank you so much for help! 

Alex

• 4 weeks later...

I agree that it's hard because no university will take a student seriously if they say watching CSI is what sparked their interest in the topic, even tho it is perfectly justified IMO haha. Has there ever been a criminal case in the news which caught your  eye and motivated you to find more information? Or have you noticed any problems in your city/a place you went/international news which mkaes you eager to change/fix/prevent them etc? Another thing I have heard which is helpful is to mention books you have read on the topic and how they impacted you rinterest. Look into doing an short internship at a police station/lawyer's/crime lab in your spring break or summer and mention it in you rpersonal statement- some say that it is much more impressive to mention things you are planning to do than just plaster on unrelated stuff you did without this degree in mind. 

Hope I could help!!

• Like 1

For UK universities, work experience is not necessary.

The best way to show your interest in a subject is to read about it.  Look up which textbooks first-year criminology students use and read some chapters.  Come up with some ideas based on what you've read as to why the subject would be interesting to you at degree level.

For some general advice on writing personal statements, see here:

Drop me a line if you have any questions.  Cheers!

• Like 1