English B Oral Tips

Amina13

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips for the English B Individual Oral. I am not good at languages and telling truth, I am HORRIBLE. My intonation, structure and the pace -- I struggle with all. Not mentioning the grammar mistakes with the repetition.

Can you please give me advice on that? 

Thank you in advance.

First, I think that taking a deep breath is very helpful. IB does not mark students down for their accent, and I don't think speaking slowly will be a big issue. Speaking slowly gives you a chance to think about what you want to say – add fillers to your speech if you feel uncomfortable with silence: Native speakers say "um" all the time when speaking in English. If you make a mistake and notice, correct it. If you don't notice it, that's fine too. Also, don't worry about the topic. If you don't have anything more to say about something, relate it to something that you are comfortable talking about and then talk about that. Try to not be too nervous and just have a natural conversation with your teacher. The first few sentences are the hardest part. After that, – as we like to say in English – it's a breeze. Best of luck. 

Edited by Nomenclature
  • Like 1