Math SL IA: Traffic Flow

Gaurav19

Hi, 

For my math IA, I chose to do traffic flow. So far, I narrowed down my potential questions to: a) How do trucks contribute to traffic jams and b) What causes traffic jams. 

Do you guys think that one of these is a do-able topic question, or should i change it? How can i structure my IA to get a good mark?

a) is a good starting point for you to start doing some research and explore your topic in detail. If a) does not work and is limited in the mathematics, then you can approach the more broader b). 

You can think more about structural of IA once you have a draft done. Shameless plugging my post for drafting and revision tips: 

• Like 1

I also chose Traffic Flow for my SL IA last year but moved to studies this year which means my IA is much more difficult than Maths Studies/SL lol. I used the Poisson Distribution to see whether I can predict the number of vehicles that will pass in the next 30 seconds at the road I am looking at. =]

I can't help you with the suggestions you have until I see the formula u will use tbh :P, If you consider looking at Poisson Distribution I am here to help :D

Oh btw, I moved to Studies because I want to do Law at university so I didn't need Maths SL.

Edited by So Young
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 12/6/2016 at 11:26 PM, So Young said:

I also chose Traffic Flow for my SL IA last year but moved to studies this year which means my IA is much more difficult than Maths Studies/SL lol. I used the Poisson Distribution to see whether I can predict the number of vehicles that will pass in the next 30 seconds at the road I am looking at. =]

I can't help you with the suggestions you have until I see the formula u will use tbh :P, If you consider looking at Poisson Distribution I am here to help :D

Oh btw, I moved to Studies because I want to do Law at university so I didn't need Maths SL.

im doing my ia on movie queues and i need help with all these distribution formulas 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Amatuts said:

I’m using poisson. How did you go about it?

im still trying to decide whether I should use poisson or another method, cause i know there are 2 other methods. im still trying to figure how i can use my data to plug into the formulas to get the results that ill analyze and apply in diagrams. Its really complicated and im sort of lost but ill figure it out 

1 minute ago, BudyH said:

im still trying to decide whether I should use poisson or another method, cause i know there are 2 other methods. im still trying to figure how i can use my data to plug into the formulas to get the results that ill analyze and apply in diagrams. Its really complicated and im sort of lost but ill figure it out 

I’m lost too. Lol. What formulas are you talking about and what are the other two methods?

Just now, BudyH said:

your welcome, idk but u can search some sample ias. I believe there is one for vechile traffic 

I’ve been looking for those. But I haven’t found any on vehicle traffic. If you find any please do send. Thank you. :)  At this point I’m considering changing the topic as a whole. Lol.

5 minutes ago, Amatuts said:

I’ve been looking for those. But I haven’t found any on vehicle traffic. If you find any please do send. Thank you. :)  At this point I’m considering changing the topic as a whole. Lol.

if i do find it again, ill send it to you for sure. ill try my best to find it 

• 2 years later...