Switch to HL math?

LucasEvans

So currently the courses I'm taking are as such: HL Bio, HL Chem, HL English Lit, HL American History, SL Japanese, SL math, and of course, TOK. I'm conflicted about whether or not to switch to Math HL for several reasons: 1. It's kind of late into the year. 2. I'm already in 4 HL classes. 3. I want to apply to a research University, and I don't know if taking two sciences on an HL level would be sufficient in their eyes or not. 

So far I've been able to manage my courseload and keep my grades up, but I don't want to be overwhelmed. Help?

Edited by LucasEvans

It all depends on where you want to go to school and whether you are challenge-minded. If you don't want to be overwhelmed, easily stressed, or will only accept getting straight A's--Math HL is not for you. I'm a junior and I took Math HL for about 4 weeks and almost died after the first test. Math is my strongest suit and I received a C on the test. There are only 4 tests in a quarter, so I would have to earn above 95% on the next tests to receive an A as a quarter grade. I dropped and now I'm in SL, which is a complete joke. I do deeply regret it because it was a stimulating and intense environment which I enjoyed, full of math lovers. However, I know I couldn't deal with the stress so I had dropped. My mistake but you do you. 

HL Math is not impossible. 25% of all math students each year take the course it and of which a standard proportion (around 25% of whom) earn 6s or 7s in the end. However, 5 HLs are overwhelming. I would suggest to do Math HL only with 2 other HLs. Usually if you apply in the US/Canada, a SAT subject test in math II (or even just Math SL) should be able to meet entry requirements. Many UK schools, however do require math HL and physics HL for engineering majors. At this point, you can still change up your courses if your school permits and there is no penalty other than catching up on missed work. However there might not be a need to make the course switch to math HL if you plan to stay in US.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

If you know which university you want you apply, you should go check their high school requirements for IB first. If they commander you to take then go for it, it will increase your chance of getting in. However, it all depends on how good are you in math. It is not an easy course, you have to spend time on it. And it is kinda late to switch course, if you are not super good in math, it is better to stay in SL, since you may not catch up with them. Also, you can only take a maximum of four HLs in IB, so if you want to take math HL, you'll have drop something to SL. If you are currently doing well in all your subjects and not strongly interest in math, I commander you stay in SL. If still want to take some extended math, AP math is there for you, if you have time. 

• Like 3