HELP! Compare and Contrast History Essay

katydean

Typically, compare and contrast is one of the most difficult essay questions. There are some methods of doing it, but I find either of the two alternating ones the best in dealing with comparing and contrasting.

Firstly, there's the method where you go:

• Point 1 for one culture
  • Point 1 for another culture
  • Point 2 for the first
  • Point 2 for the second

Each bullet point is a new paragraph. This generally means you don't have as much breadth, but you can go into more depth with your individual points, and can compare points and cultures more thoroughly. However, you can also mention both cultures in one paragraph, so you can have three or four different points of comparison/contrast. This means you get more breadth, but often you have to sacrifice some depth with it.

You can also deal with first one culture in one or two paragraphs, and then the other, but this (in my opinion) doesn't really allow for much comparison.

Hope this helps a tad!

Edited by Guest

Okay, with this, I figured out how to do it in English, and I feel it should be similar to that in History, though of course it's slightly different. Basically, in English, I worked out that it's possible to have two different 'thesis' for each different play (or, in this case, each culture). Of course, this depends on your general essay question, but generally I'd say something like "Both Culture X and Y have similarities of Z due to A factor, but they are dissimilar in that B and C are different as the two cultures divulged as a result of D".

On the other hand, the two cultures could have no similarities/very little, or they could be very similar with few differences between them.