A Disaster French Teacher - What To Do? Extra resources?

Jlennox

Okay, so in pre-IB we had the most amazing french teacher. She quizzed us at least once a week, forbade speaking English in the classroom, and really made us learn our stuff.

Come grade 11, last year, our french teacher was offered a job elsewhere and our new teacher for French SL 11 was AWFUL.

She has never taught IB, barely knows how to structure proper lessons, and on top of it makes mistakes on/doesn't know a lot of basic grammar herself.

I am now halfway through my grade 12 year and nothing has changed. She hasn't taught us any grammar beyond the passé composé I learned in grade 10, and even that is starting to fade. No one in my class can truly put together a good sentence.

Seeing as the administration hasn't dealt with her incompetence (despite numerous complaints), it's really up to me to try and get some handle on my grammar in the next 5 months before my exam. Do you believe I can teach myself some basics - the other tenses, for example, in that time? My mother is french so I do have some support in that regard. Are there any resources you can reccomend? I'm truly at a loss, any suggestions or encouragement would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Try tex's french grammar - it shouldn't be that hard to self-teach. Make sure to look at the conditional, si clauses, the futur simple, imperfect, and the subjunctive. Learn some conjunction and linking words as well.

Make sure you do past papers too, and learn vocab related to the options you are studying. i.e. we did health and leisure.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll be fine, especially if your mom is french

Have you heard about Duolingo? It's a really good website to just get a handle on everything. You can access it online or you can download the app on you cell phone, and it is free! I think one of the thing that made it hard is all the irregular verbs. Try to make a list of those and put it into Quizlet and test yourself. 

It's too bad that you have an awful teacher, but don't give up and good luck!!!

• Like 3