TOK Essay Question 3 HELP

Julia W

I also chose this title and had a hard time coming up with my real life situations. I found that it helped to identify my Areas of Knowledge and general claims first. I then came up with hypothetical scenarios for real-life situations that would be useful in supporting my claims and searched for actual situations to reflect them. So for example, if you are going to agree with the title, you might need an example of a real-life situation in which a judgment made using the standards of the time was beneficial in some way. You could then search for situations to reflect that claim within your chosen Areas of Knowledge (which is a lot easier to do than searching blindly for examples).  Hope I helped and good luck!

• 5 weeks later...

My immediate thoughts were about literatures and how some literary pieces are considered timeless. You can argue that literature is a form of historical record-keeping and they definitely reflect the historical events at the time written. However, they are considered timeless because the topic touched upon in these literary pieces are still relevant. Something like that I guess?

Or you can delve into the concept of "history repeats itself" and thus you can argue that yes it is important to judge events at the time it occurred because we can use the same way of thinking to apply to current events, and therefore in this case, it is important to consider the time it occurred so it can be useful at another time. Mention some historical events that repeats (reasons for WWI and WWII with imperialism thinking for example).

Those are some of my thoughts, do ask your teacher about these before decide to incorporate them into your essay. Good luck!