French book or poetry suggestions?

tickTOK

I've been wanting to read some french literature in order to improve my comprehension and vocabulary, but I'm not entirely sure where to start. I want something I can understand (with a bit of work), but not something that is basic and aimed at children. Books or poetry, I don't really mind. Maybe a French translation of an English book would be a good place to start? I'd appreciate any and all suggestions :)

Hi tickTOK :D

My French teacher recently gave me "Le tour du monde en 80 jours" I haven't read it in depth but it has simple yet challenging language. It also features some synonyms at the bottom of the page for a few words & phrases.

You might want to try it. Picture attached. I would also recommend you avoid actual french literature and read adapted versions instead.

What else she makes us do is to look up actual news/songs/poems/articles/blogs/interviews (basically any written work). Then we have to make a 3-column grid with the headings: "Words", "Guessed meaning", and "Actual meaning". I'm sure you can guess, but we just fill in any words or phrases we aren't sure of then guess their meaning. Then finally using wordreference.com to check their actual meaning. (I don't think using google translate would be too bad an idea when you are finding the actual meaning of phrases, but beware anyway).

I find this is a great way to expand your vocabulary and improve on grammar, and French nuance. 

Good luck!

Le-tour-du-monde-en-80-jours.jpg

• Like 1