maths exam

samar Khader

man if you could give some context it would help tons

I got a 5 for my first semester exam in DP1 as well, and managed to improve to a  7 at the end of my most recent mock exam.

"i am so stressed because i got a 5 in my midterm exam" – hey, don't let it get to you. It's a decent mark, in a not too easy subject, on one of your first exams (I'm assuming you're in DP1). You'll have a year and a half to improve that 5. 

And how high a score do you need – are you applying to institutions and/or majors that require a significant level of maths ie. UK universities? Like, this is pretty important if you're considering dropping to Maths studies but you're also thinking of taking a science major.

How much time and effort have you put into Maths? What topics specifically are you struggling the most with? Have you spoken with your teacher/asked him for advice on whether you have the capability for improving?

I'm sure a lot more people would be better informed and capable of answering your question after you've explained some stuff better. 

Edited by IB`ez
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, IB`ez said:

man if you could give some context it would help tons

I got a 5 for my first semester exam in DP1 as well, and managed to improve to a  7 at the end of my most recent mock exam.

"i am so stressed because i got a 5 in my midterm exam" – hey, don't let it get to you. It's a decent mark, in a not too easy subject, on one of your first exams (I'm assuming you're in DP1). You'll have a year and a half to improve that 5. 

And how high a score do you need – are you applying to institutions and/or majors that require a significant level of maths ie. UK universities? Like, this is pretty important if you're considering dropping to Maths studies but you're also thinking of taking a science major.

How much time and effort have you put into Maths? What topics specifically are you struggling the most with? Have you spoken with your teacher/asked him for advice on whether you have the capability for improving?

I'm sure a lot more people would be better informed and capable of answering your question after you've explained some stuff better. 

i am Dp1  but i worked so hard for it and i expected more than 5- i am not thinking about universities now but i want to ask if it math studies really effect on my application in the universities??????- we are still in chapter 6 and i didnt talk with my teacher because i was pissed off 

thank you so much 

2 hours ago, samar Khader said:

i am Dp1  but i worked so hard for it and i expected more than 5- i am not thinking about universities now but i want to ask if it math studies really effect on my application in the universities??????- we are still in chapter 6 and i didnt talk with my teacher because i was pissed off 

thank you so much 

As a rule of thumb, taking Maths Studies will negatively affect your application for UK universities (unless you're pursuing an Arts degree).

And generally speaking, a 5 in Maths SL is worth more than a 7 in Maths Studies.

I'm assuming Chapter 6 is still to do with Algebra (if you're using the Haese Maths textbook). That's really one of the simpler topics that you'll improve a lot on overtime as you keep on practicing. 

I strongly suggest you look at universities and give it some thought – in a year and a half, you'll likely be spending 3-4 years in the same place, preferably studying something you enjoy. Take my advice with a grain of salt, but I honestly believe that's a big deal.

Being pissed off at your teacher, well... go talk to them still. They might have valid reasons for giving you the grade they did, and you can better understand how you can improve to a higher grade – as that is what you want, right?

I also have an inkling as to what it's like preparing hard in Maths SL and not receiving the marks I feel I deserve. Give it time – so long as you keep up or even increase the amount of effort you put in, your grades will reflect that. And once again, that was your first exam. Literally just your first exam in a 2 year long course. There's like a gazillion opportunities to improve. Relax and enjoy the holidays! 

Edited by IB`ez
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, IB`ez said:

As a rule of thumb, taking Maths Studies will negatively affect your application for UK universities (unless you're pursuing an Arts degree).

And generally speaking, a 5 in Maths SL is worth more than a 7 in Maths Studies.

I'm assuming Chapter 6 is still to do with Algebra (if you're using the Haese Maths textbook). That's really one of the simpler topics that you'll improve a lot on overtime as you keep on practicing. 

I strongly suggest you look at universities and give it some thought – in a year and a half, you'll likely be spending 3-4 years in the same place, preferably studying something you enjoy. Take my advice with a grain of salt, but I honestly believe that's a big deal.

Being pissed off at your teacher, well... go talk to them still. They might have valid reasons for giving you the grade they did, and you can better understand how you can improve to a higher grade – as that is what you want, right?

I also have an inkling as to what it's like preparing hard in Maths SL and not receiving the marks I feel I deserve. Give it time – so long as you keep up or even increase the amount of effort you put in, your grades will reflect that. And once again, that was your first exam. Literally just your first exam in a 2 year long course. There's like a gazillion opportunities to improve. Relax and enjoy the holidays! 

thank you so much i feel so much better now than when i received my grade and i think i will improve much more and i will practice 

have a happy merry christmas 

thank you