Hey,

Currently I am half-way into my first IB year. Now, I am seriously considering if I should swap my French B HL course for Arabic A Self-taught: Literature. 

Why, you may ask?

Apparently, the uni I am applying to requires Arabic A (within the Diploma), however, our school doesn't offer it. How difficult would a literature (SL) course be without much tutoring, keeping in mind I will get rid of French HL.. 

Thanks!

Hi! 

I took Spanish A: Literature (SL) and honestly, it wasn't hard at all and I don't think I'd done any differently on the exam if I hadn't had a teacher. Of course, this was because I speak Spanish fluently so I had no problem understanding the texts we read. I think that as long as you understand the language you'll be fine. 

In my Spanish A literature class all we really did was discuss the texts that we had read, but I'm sure that you can find discussions of the texts that you will read for your class on the internet. Or you could just ask any of your teachers if they've read the text. 

I think you should totally go for it. It's only been half a year so you still have time to catch up with reading. 

Good luck! 

• 4 weeks later...

I take self-taught and at my school you're kind of on your own. We have a teacher to supervise us and make sure we hand the stuff for our diploma and there is the option to get some teacher via some ib network.

Self-taught should be no problem if you're Arabic skills are good, but if not then it might not be the wisest choice...