chemistry

samar Khader

hey i need your help guys and i dont know what to do- so today i got my grade for my chemistry midterm exams and i got 54 Out of 80 and i am so scared about it and i feel like i am so far from the subject however in the first test i got 7/7 and then 6/7 and now i still dont know the boundaries if you guys can help me and tell me the boundaries and how can i improve in this subject as SL

thank you and so scareedddd  

well first of all 54/80 is a 67% which is a pass so just take a deep breath. secondly, grade boundaries are usually regarded when it comes to the final examination papers (in either may or nov.). the following link can perhaps give you an idea for now: http://www.dpcdsb.org/NR/rdonlyres/257D5ECC-B156-4400-B0C7-D765BB3D4855/140115/201405_Grade_Boundaries.pdf

i did not graduate yet (year two currently) but i also take chemistry SL and can tell you that you could get away with a score of 3 in IB chemistry SL if you pass all other three SL courses. also, in my school, the teacher can upload the grade to a website called managebac and it converts the grade out of a hundred into an IB out of 7 grade with the updated IB boundaries. any test before the very final papers are usually takin into account only in the report cards and are not related to the IB. your grade is just an indication where you are and how much you need to further study if you want to recieve a higher grade in the finals of may/nov.

just dont worry too much because you did pass and with further practice (which is the only thing that saves me), you will pass with a high and pride-granting grade on the finals. hope this helps...

SL:

math studies, french pamoja ab initio, chemistry

HL:

history, psychology, english A

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2016 at 5:15 PM, ishneor said:

well first of all 54/80 is a 67% which is a pass so just take a deep breath. secondly, grade boundaries are usually regarded when it comes to the final examination papers (in either may or nov.). the following link can perhaps give you an idea for now: http://www.dpcdsb.org/NR/rdonlyres/257D5ECC-B156-4400-B0C7-D765BB3D4855/140115/201405_Grade_Boundaries.pdf

i did not graduate yet (year two currently) but i also take chemistry SL and can tell you that you could get away with a score of 3 in IB chemistry SL if you pass all other three SL courses. also, in my school, the teacher can upload the grade to a website called managebac and it converts the grade out of a hundred into an IB out of 7 grade with the updated IB boundaries. any test before the very final papers are usually takin into account only in the report cards and are not related to the IB. your grade is just an indication where you are and how much you need to further study if you want to recieve a higher grade in the finals of may/nov.

just dont worry too much because you did pass and with further practice (which is the only thing that saves me), you will pass with a high and pride-granting grade on the finals. hope this helps...

SL:

math studies, french pamoja ab initio, chemistry

HL:

history, psychology, english A

thank you so much it helped me a lot, i got the boundaries and its 6/7 but still i am disappointed with it however, i will work harder as far as the next semester starts

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You are more likely to get more responses if you post in the correct subforum. It would also be beneficial so specify when your exam session is. 

One strategy I suggest for year 1 is to know which units are concept-focused and which are calculation-focused. For example there is a lot of calculation in stoichiometry so you should spend a lot of time outside of class practising conversions, unit(dimension) analysis in both reactions and dilutions. Then in physical and chemical properties there would be no calculations and all concepts, when you should actively ask questions to clarify the connections between concepts. Don't worry about boundaries at all in year 1. 

If you are in year 2, then you should get your hands on past questions and become familiar with exam-styled questions and mark allocation.