plagiarism in math ia?

ilovemath

So for my mathematics IA, I am doing a proof of a mathematical theory. However, because there are limited ways you can prove a certain theory, is copying the steps of a proof plagiarism? I did my research, I elaborated every step to why and how, and it is a higher degree of mathematics so I could not know how to prove this theory straight off of prior knowledge. The plagiarism aspect is very confusing to me because you don't necessarily evaluate the pros and cons to reach a strongly judgment like a historical essay, but rather to find a definite answer. I cited all my references, I understood then wrote everything in my own words, I only copied the steps of a proof. Just a bit worried, thank you!

Plagiarism, put simply, is to improperly or not at all, give credit to where you found the information. If you cite properly, it is not plagiarism. It's a different story about how much commentary you provided along with the proof: that has to do with your IA mark allocation. For example, if you were to appear to not understand the proof but gave proper citation (in a hypothetical situation), then that could mean fewer marks awarded, but that's not plagiarism. For the sake of scoring well, you should attempt to explain the proof to the best of your abilities, but that is independent of plagiarism. 

12 minutes ago, kw0573 said:

Plagiarism, put simply, is to improperly or not at all, give credit to where you found the information. If you cite properly, it is not plagiarism. It's a different story about how much commentary you provided along with the proof: that has to do with your IA mark allocation. For example, if you were to appear to not understand the proof but gave proper citation (in a hypothetical situation), then that could mean fewer marks awarded, but that's not plagiarism. For the sake of scoring well, you should attempt to explain the proof to the best of your abilities, but that is independent of plagiarism. 

Thanks for the quick reply and helpful feedback!