Is my subject choices too hard for me?

xxxmoo

My subject choices are Maths HL, Chem HL, Bio HL, Econs SL, English LangLit A SL and Chinese B SL. 

And my Olevel subjects and grades are English First Language B, Chinese second lang A*, Maths A*, Add Maths A, Bio A, Chem A, business A.

I've got people (teachers too) saying that my subject choices = suicide, so I'm worried I can't manage to pass my diploma. 

What are your subject choices and how to do you find them? Are there anyone out there who take similar subjects? And am I really insane for choosing these subjects haha

Look, you haven't taken an easy option that's for sure. At my school, they actually make you start with four HL's if you decide to do Maths HL. Why? Because they're realistic and know most people will end up dropping Maths HL. Couple that with two science HLs and you've got a hell of a lot of content. I'm taking Bio SL and it's more than enough for me haha. You're going to have to work your ass off, don't be surprised if you start sleeping less.

That said, don't let anyone tell you your subject choices are impossible and that you should change. IB forces us to be rounded by doing a subject from all the groups, so that makes it all the more important to do the subjects you're interested in. Clearly you're very logical, STEM minded with the two science HLs and Maths HL. That's cool. I'm more humanities minded so I'm doing HL History, Psych and English A Lit. Just about sticking to the interests. And clearly you've gotten good marks. So yeah, your subject choices sure as hell aren't easy, be prepared for sleep deprivation but don't let anyone discourage you. You do you man

• Like 1

It's not suicide if you like the subjects.

I do your HLs + a language B and I'm on a 40/42 after semester 1. Sure it's hard and a lot of work (I can't work now since I'm travelling and couldn't take my notes so it's making me a bit anxious haha) but worth it.

For me maths is the hardest, I'm on a 7 but it required a lot of work and effort. I did add maths igcse and got a B so you might have it even easier with an A.  Biology unit 1 was an absolute bore for me, but other than that I quite enjoy it. Chemistry is by far my favourite class out of all, might have to do with my teacher too. 

If you like it, do it. I was told I'm signing up for sleepless nights and stress, and I shouldn't do 4hls etc. I like it and it's manageable with good work ethic :) 

• Like 1

I think your teachers said the subjects you are doing = suicide is because all your high levels are science and math oriented, and most of people struggle with the sciences. However if you enjoy the subjects you are taking and confident with your previous performance on those subjects, you would be good. 

It's also important noting what your strength and limits, because that's how you would have a great performance in dp. If you are a science person and interested in applying science related program in university, your choice works perfectly. 

• Like 2