Can I apply for these subjects with my IGCSEs?

sagastarr

Hello! I'm doing my O Levels next year, and it was suggested to me that instead of taking A Levels, I should opt for taking IBs. I've done some reading and it seems that the IBDP program is quite challenging and highly valued, which seems perfect for me as I'm sort of a natural hard worker. However, there's kind of a downside - in IBs, you have to take a language, right, but unfortunately in Maldives, where I'm from, the public education curriculum does not have any additional foreign languages being taught - we only learn English and our mothertongue. So, could anyone tell me whether the IB subjects that I've picked out are compatible with my IGCSE subjects? Please and thank you :)

IGCSEs: English as a Second Language, Maths(extended), Economics, Physics, Biology, Chemistry [Note: My predicted grades are As/A*s]

IB subjects that I would like to take: HL English, History, Economics and SL Maths, Physics,and Chinese. I'm not entirely sure about doing Maths SL, because it's one of my strong subjects, so I may swap that with Econ. I'm not really sure yet, and it's not like I'm in a rush or anything aha.

I'm most worried about the Chinese - I don't know Chinese at ALL, or any other language, so please tell me whether doing IB would be possible. Thank!

Guest Positron

Chinese SL what? Is it Ab initio, B, Language and Literature or Literature? If it's Chinese Ab - you're fine; if not, that would not be a great idea. You can also take your mother tongue as a self-taught Literature SL course. 

Edited by Positron

I would recommend SL Classical Languages (Latin or Ancient Greek), because those are purely translations with dictionary on some exams. Ab initio means little to maybe a year of experience with the language. SL (with exception or classical languages) is usually under 3-4 years and HL is often 5 or more years or writing/speaking-intensive curriculum. Unfortunately Maldivian is currently not offered in IB in either Group 1 or 2. You should ask your school if they are willing to apply for a curriculum (which if successful, will result in your school being the only IB cohort around the world). 

Many often find for group 1, "Language and Literature" is an easier course than simply "Literature". Of course your English seems fine, but there are options for group 1 courses that you can consider if you want to.