Regretting taking SL Maths

Guest Matthias

Guest Matthias

I am regretting taking SL Maths in the IB. I have always been the top of my class in terms of maths. I am half way through grade 11 and started looking for possible fields I would be interested in studying. I know its late but I have been completely blasé about school until recently. I was looking into possibilities of studying engineering or physics and every university requires HL Maths.

Currently I am taking:

HL B&M - HL Physics - HL Chemistry

SL English Literature - SL Maths - SL German A

I currently have a 92% average on the 3 tests so far in maths and am regretting not taking HL Maths.

Would you (to anyone familiar with this switch) recommend for me to switch to HL Maths?

Is it difficult to adjust to the material if I were to switch just after winter break?

Thanks

Edited by Matthias

Straightaway, with regards to your last question – it won't be easy. But generally most of the earlier topics taught, likely to be Algebra, will be easier to catch up on. It's not impossible as well as a friend of mine made the switch from SL to HL close to the end of her first DP semester, and is doing fine.

Whilst averaging 92% in 3 SL Maths tests is respectable, it doesn't automatically guarantee you to perform even "well" at Maths HL. I knew a senior who averaged over 90% in SL Maths for his entire 2 years who didn't even get a 7 on the May '16 Maths SL exam, which from what I've heard was the hardest exam in years, up until November '16.

Nevertheless, your scores do indicate that you're not being challenged enough. I recommend that so long as you enjoy Maths and you're willing to put the hard work to catch up, you should make the switch. Keep in mind though, that Maths HL has a reputation for being a demanding course – the gap between SL and HL Maths is just too wide to accommodate everyone who's unsatisfied with SL but isn't prepared to do the work at HL. 

Good luck! 

Edited by IB`ez

Guest Matthias
3 minutes ago, IB`ez said:

Straightaway, with regards to your last question – it won't be easy. But generally most of the earlier topics taught, likely to be Algebra, will be easier to catch up on. It's not impossible as well as a friend of mine made the switch from SL to HL close to the end of her first DP semester, and is doing fine.

Whilst averaging 92% in 3 SL Maths tests is respectable, it doesn't automatically guarantee you to perform even "well" at Maths HL. I knew a senior who averaged over 90% in SL Maths for his entire 2 years who didn't even get a 7 on the May '16 Maths SL exam, which from what I've heard was the hardest exam in years, up until November '16.

Nevertheless, your scores do indicate that you're not being challenged enough. I recommend that so long as you enjoy Maths and you're willing to put the hard work to catch up, you should make the switch. Keep in mind though, that Maths HL has a reputation for being a demanding course – the gap between SL and HL Maths is just too wide to accommodate everyone who's unsatisfied with SL but isn't prepared to do the work at HL. 

Good luck! 

Thanks a lot for the quick reply.

I took maths HL last year and was at a 5 without putting in any work (once again because I didn't have my priorities straight). I also have a lot of friends in the current HL Maths class who I was on the same level during last years class that are doing well. I don't really need a high grade like a 7 in HL Maths, I just need around a 5. How would I go about switching? I currently have winter break. Should I just email a counsellor? Sorry if that is a stupid question.

Once again thanks for the help and I'll try to make the jump!

1 minute ago, Matthias said:

Thanks a lot for the quick reply.

I took maths HL last year and was at a 5 without putting in any work (once again because I didn't have my priorities straight). I also have a lot of friends in the current HL Maths class who I was on the same level during last years class that are doing well. I don't really need a high grade like a 7 in HL Maths, I just need around a 5. How would I go about switching? I currently have winter break. Should I just email a counsellor? Sorry if that is a stupid question.

Once again thanks for the help and I'll try to make the jump!

You should let your DP coordinator know about it as soon as possible. Forward the mail to your Maths HL teacher as well if you know him/her, and if they can vouch for you. (you can do the same with your Maths SL teacher if you feel he/she can help you with this)

Explain why you chose to make this decision late into the DP, how you require it for future aspirations, that Maths SL isn't challenging enough as your current performance has highlighted, and also show a clear awareness of the consequences of moving up to HL Maths: working harder and spending more time on Maths. It would save time as well if you can also inform your coordinator which HL you're planning to drop to SL (I don't know what's it like in your case, but unless you know your DP coordinator well, I would not push to take 4 HL courses as that could just lead to a flat rejection to your request).