Math IA

Snake_Lover

So my math IA is due in a couple of days and I have wasted the majority of my time staring at my computer screen and ranting about how math is evil. None of which IB would appreciate very much...

My topic is Pythagorean triples. The only reason why I chose it was because my teacher told me it was a good topic, and I was topic-less a week before the due date. I tried investigating and have found a formula for how to generate triples which is great and all, but when I moved on to real life use the only thing I could come up with was how the Egyptians built the pyramids, how big a tv is, and the shortest route to get to school.

Are there any IB level math problems that use triples to solve? I have no idea what to apply my topic too.

Thanks in advance :)

Pythagorean triplets are studied in number theory courses, which are outside of SL. You don't have to find real life applications because they are usually studied practically (that is, few people other than math majors need to learn about pythagorean triplets in undergrad). Just try your best to explain the concepts clearly and focus on the math. If you want real life applications, consider why integer side lengths are useful. Ultimately, real life situations are just one way you can show personal engagement,but the math is the important part!