Which IB assignment do you hate the most?

revumol7

Which IB assignment do you hate the most?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Which IB assignment do you hate the most?

• ToK paper
    • EE
    • IAs in the sciences
    • Math IA
    • IAs in the Humanities
    • Internal Oral commentaries (IOC)
    • Written assignments in the languages?

Every single one of them.

I'd have to say the TOK assignments (presentation + essay). The EE and IAs are all fine if you choose to do them on a topic of your interest and work on them from time to time, rather than leave it until the minute. The IOC, you can prepare for if you read and prepare your texts properly and since you've studied these texts in class, shouldn't be all that bad (I haven't done mine yet). The WA is easy, if you can find the appropriate article.

<rant>

But TOK? I don't understand it nor do I enjoy it. The fact that I tend to neglect TOK in favour of the subjects I need for university, doesn't help either. So, I just tend to think of the TOK assignments as an unnecessary burden, and I still think that the time I spent on TOK could've been better spent by improving my IAs from other subjects- or better yet- actually getting some sleep! >.<

</rant>

• 3 weeks later...

TOK, because nobody, including the teachers, had any clue what it was really about.  Plus, we had classes starting before school, twice a week, for half a year.  It was awful, everybody was always tired, came in late, and the teacher was completely oblivious to the fact that nobody was actually doing any work, because it's a rare teenager who's productive at 7:30am.  It felt like a massive waste of time.

7 hours ago, azara said:

TOK, because nobody, including the teachers, had any clue what it was really about.  Plus, we had classes starting before school, twice a week, for half a year.  It was awful, everybody was always tired, came in late, and the teacher was completely oblivious to the fact that nobody was actually doing any work, because it's a rare teenager who's productive at 7:30am.  It felt like a massive waste of time.

Before school?! How was that even allowed? Schools shouldn't be able to require students to come in BEFORE the start, that's just ridiculous. But yeah, I agree TOK was the worst. The presentation was an awful experience and the classes are super boring. I also hated the EE.

Edited by sodonewithib

42 minutes ago, sodonewithib said:

Before school?! How was that even allowed? Schools shouldn't be able to require students to come in BEFORE the start, that's just ridiculous. But yeah, I agree TOK was the worst. The presentation was an awful experience and the classes are super boring. I also hated the EE.

It was pretty standard at our school, but yeah, it was really unfortunate.

I enjoyed the EE, because I picked a subject I was really interested in.  Also, researching felt like detective work, because as it turned out, the subject I was really interested in was North Korea.  So that led to me to some strange databases and slow-loading NK/Chinese based websites with poor English translations and random propaganda, lol. 

On 1/16/2017 at 9:04 AM, azara said:

It was pretty standard at our school, but yeah, it was really unfortunate.

I enjoyed the EE, because I picked a subject I was really interested in.  Also, researching felt like detective work, because as it turned out, the subject I was really interested in was North Korea.  So that led to me to some strange databases and slow-loading NK/Chinese based websites with poor English translations and random propaganda, lol. 

I admit, that's a very interesting topic :P Glad you found it fun! I was stuck researching artists (couldn't find a good topic so I just went with what I knew), as if I'm not doing enough of it in Visual Art HL... lol

Hahaha definitely a close battle between my maths IA and the EE. Tbh I hate all my assignments - my Latin (yea Latin) IA is pretty hateable as well, though it's only 1000 words long. Being concise will be a problem... once I decide to make more progress than the title page. Moreover, Latin SL has statistically the lowest 7 rate, so I'm gonna have to do well in the IA to get anywhere ;(

Edited by tim9800

Where's the option for CAS...

Honestly, I'm OK with most of the assignments, as they give me a chance to pursue something I'm interested in independent of the final exams.  CAS really bugs me though, mostly due to the reflections.  I just can't get motivated to actually do them, even though I've pretty much gotten my hours down already.  Speaking of which, I really should start writing some...

1 hour ago, SC2Player said:

Where's the option for CAS...

Honestly, I'm OK with most of the assignments, as they give me a chance to pursue something I'm interested in independent of the final exams.  CAS really bugs me though, mostly due to the reflections.  I just can't get motivated to actually do them, even though I've pretty much gotten my hours down already.  Speaking of which, I really should start writing some...

Oh yes, I completely forgot about CAS. I find CAS just bloody pointless. They have minimum requirements, restrictions, guidelines, etc but then they expect you to do activities that you're motivated to do yourself... I found myself struggling to find something to do just to fill up an Action, or to fill up a Service. I mean, it's not exactly great community service when you're forced to volunteer for something... lol. That's why I hated CAS. It's just such a phony part of the IB where everyone's writing how much they enjoyed doing what they did when in reality, they couldn't care less.