Calculating e using infinite series

Ahly

Hi,

For my Math IA, I'm planning on exploring the number e and how it relates to change.

I know I am able to understand the mathematics behind it but is that enough for the exploration? Do I have to apply the concept and provide date and all that to a real life situation in order to receive high marks?

Finally, must the mathematics included in the exploration be entirely my work or must I simply demonstrate understanding through explaining the mathematics?

Thank you.

I think these two are essentially the same question. Real life situation is not necessary, but you should go beyond just showing that the formula works. The IA is not focused on the result but the process. So the the end result is not expected to be original but you have to demonstrate an original process of how you came to understand the topic, in order to score excellently. The IA is very different from a scholarly paper as you will have to spend time proving that you have went through the learning process and not just looked up the result. 

Another thing you could do is link the result to other math you know. You are still not making groundbreaking discoveries but this way you can introduce topics not necessarily brought up in a website/book that is solely dedicated to the specific series expansion, and it would demonstrate that you have personally interacted with the topic.