What subjects for Philosophy?

alexalexalex

Hello everyone!

So I'm one trimester into the IB diploma and am in the midst of figuring out what I want to study at university. 

I am quite unsure as I, for a very long time, wanted to study Physics/Engineering, though I realised that all of the career paths following those undergraduate courses are rather unappealing to me. Now, I have been researching different courses and I find Mathematics & Philosophy to sound incredibly interesting. 

Right now I am taking HL Maths, Physics, English and Chemistry. 

I realise that I need to take Maths. I am also planning to keep Physics as this is a subject I fairly easily get good grades in. 

Now, here is the issue: I don't quite know whether I should keep HL Chem or English. 

Chemistry has always been a subject I have found very easy and have always gotten good grades in, but I don't like it too much at all (am not very motivated) plus I happen to have an absolutely terrible teacher. 

I have only gone to school in english for 3 years now and am not as good at it as I am in Chemistry. The thing is that I have an amazing teacher and I feel really motivated to do well in the course. 

(So far my grades are Chem HL: 7, English HL: 6)

I hear that it is really difficult receiving a 7 for english but on the other hand I also hear the same for chemistry. 

Essentially, I suppose my question for you guys is whether universities like that you have HL English if you want to study Philosophy and just your general input in light of my situation.

I truly appreciate it!

Thanks! :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Have you checked the entry requirements of universities you're considering? Things like that vary from country to country, too, so it'd help to know where you'll be applying. Either way, I'd keep English and drop Chemistry, because English is essay-based, and so would your Philosophy degree. Most universities would like to see you sort of know what you're in for. But definitely check the entry requirements, you might find out you need some other subject, or that they don't care at all, in which case it'd be completely up to you what you keep at HL.