silvapedro

The IAs are due soon and Ive been procrastinating on working on my Comp Sci IA.

Now that Ive finally decided to work on it Ive been struggling with an idea. I was wondering if for my product I could create a map for a game, and if so what would be the requirements for the map in order to fulfill the requirements for the IA.

Thank You!  

First off, the Computer Science IA is different from a lot of other IA in that you must solve a concrete problem given by a client. Thus, a map for a game would not be suitable on that grounds. It is also not suitable because a map (if you mean a 3D model world) does not involve coding, just 3D modeling and does not fit under the course syllabus. You should definitely not do a map.

You should create a program or multi-page website that solves a problem or a need. You should ideally have a real-life client for whom you are making the app. Do something that you are interested in as that will make it more fun and will likely make you happier when working on it. You should have learned some fundamentals in class by now, use those to make your project. IB wants you to show what you have learned in the course, not something entirely unrelated.

Here is a link to the IA rubric for computer science. http://ib.compscihub.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/CS13-IB-project-grading-bands.pdf

Actually, I also struggle a lot with Computer Science IA more than any other one. Can you please give me some very useful websites or any other supporting material that will ease my work? @Nomenclature 

My IA is making a Jeopardy Game using Netbeans 8.1 Java code. Something like this: 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, of course. The best thing you can do to learn things in Java (or any programming language for that matter) is use Oracle's (the company who makes Java) Java documentation. Your teacher really should have covered this by now, but that is the primary source for all Java information. They tell you all about built-in methods, correct syntax, what methods actually do, and best practices and thus are extremely useful.

Sometimes, as a novice some things can be slightly difficult to understand (but really they do a good job of keeping things simple) but as you use it more and more you will get better at knowing what to look for when you have a problem or need to find something.

The second thing I would recommend is that you use Google (or any search engine) when looking up questions. It seems obvious but you would be surprised by how easy it is to use Stack Overflow (a website) and how many questions have already been asked and answered on the web. Chances are if you're asking it, it's already been answered in some form. If not and you try everything, then you can ask your instructor for help (he/she she might now necessarily tell you exactly what to do, but should give hints and clues; the comp. sci is a bit different from other classes with this) or you can ask on Stack Overflow. Again, you aren't cheating if you're asking for someone to explain a concept or how something works with Java - IB wants you to do this. They specifically state that students will learn things while doing the comp. sci IA. Obviously though, you can't have someone write your program for you.

If you really get stuck on something or don't have no idea how to do something, feel free to message me and I will try to help.

• Like 1