Failed because of 1 point (3 marks)

i want to cry

I had a pretty okay year in my opinion (2016); and receiving my results back just recently has ruined the new year for me... i have failed my diploma by 1 point (HL subjects did not add up to 12)... i cried for days and was so devastated... im really angry at myself as well because i did not know that you would be able to get special consideration if you were sick doing the exam... i thought it was only on the day, which was stupid of me... you could get special consideration if applying within 10 days of the exam... I was extremely sick during the chemistry exams; i was dizzy with a fever and couldn't even think properly... to make things worse, i threw up that morning as well... pretty much, i was dead during the exam... and now i failed by 3 marks because of a simple mistake i made in the chemistry exam... 

ive been searching around, and i cant find way to apply for special considerations late.. with a failed diploma... it makes it extremely difficult and pretty much impossible to get into anything at the university i wish to apply to... i really dont know what to do anymore... someone please help... 

is there any possibility ill pass if i get it remarked? 

:'( please help... 

I think if financially possible, you should remark all HL courses, or at least those near the top of the boundary. Usually group 1 and 2 are most likely to get a different grade but there really isn't that much to lose. The results should come back within 2-3 weeks. Also consider that if your IA was harshly graded, ie greater than 15% deviation between your IA score before and after moderation, you can request your coordinator to have the IA remoderated as well. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kw0573 said:

I think if financially possible, you should remark all HL courses, or at least those near the top of the boundary. Usually group 1 and 2 are most likely to get a different grade but there really isn't that much to lose. The results should come back within 2-3 weeks. Also consider that if your IA was harshly graded, ie greater than 15% deviation between your IA score before and after moderation, you can request your coordinator to have the IA remoderated as well. 

Thank you for the reply :) I think i'll take the risk and remark chemistry (3 marks) and english (4 marks). hopefully one of the two will go up to the next grade boundary so i can pass my diploma... or the 3 years ive spent in IB would have been such a waste :(

i really appreciate your help ^_^

Hi! 

I know exactly what you are going through because I'm exactly in the same boat as you. I am on the boundary for a 3 in ESS and also on the boundary of my diploma (23). I sent off my ESS exam for a remark, although I currently don't have high hopes for a higher grade, I still believe it is worth applying for a regrade if you aren't far off the next grade, like in your case. 

Let me know when you get your remark back and let's hope we can finally pass IB!