Is it possible to apply and start my University late after getting result?

RoyKim

Hi

I took the November 2016 exam and received 43 for my IB score 

I expected a grade around 38, hence made a very limited application prior to the score release.

Now I have a far better score, I wish to apply to many other prestigious universities like oxford, yale, etc, but unfortunately nearly all of the universities' application deadline has ended except for some universities in Singapore.

If I want to apply to those universities I would need to wait until this year's October~December in order to apply.

Is it possible to do that? I am really afraid that

1. there might be disadvantages regarding admission by doing this

2. there is a set limit for how long the IB score stays valid for applying and I may go pass that limit.

Please help! 

Edited by RoyKim

20 hours ago, RoyKim said:

Hi

I took the November 2016 exam and received 43 for my IB score 

I expected a grade around 38, hence made a very limited application prior to the score release.

Now I have a far better score, I wish to apply to many other prestigious universities like oxford, yale, etc, but unfortunately nearly all of the universities' application deadline has ended except for some universities in Singapore.

If I want to apply to those universities I would need to wait until this year's October~December in order to apply.

Is it possible to do that? I am really afraid that

1. there might be disadvantages regarding admission by doing this

2. there is a set limit for how long the IB score stays valid for applying and I may go pass that limit.

Please help! 

I don't think you have to worry about your IB scores staying valid long enough – I don't have exact numbers, but I'm willing to bet they''d last more than 3 years.

There ARE disadvantages with taking gap years as even with higher overall marks, you'll have universities wondering if you're taking a gap year solely in order to get into better schools, which isn't that valid a reason (at least to them). To avoid this, you'll need to be very productive even whilst your taking a gap year e.g. doing volunteer work abroad, employment at a company, pursuing a primary passion such as writing/art etc. Without doing these or similar things, your chances at getting into those schools are slimmer than even if you applied to Yale with a predicted 38 whilst you're still at senior year. 

Also such scores aren't the deciding factors in applying for admissions to such schools. Top American schools require extremely high scores in the SATs, usually above 1450/1600 to stand a chance. Oxford on the other hand, although without SAT requirements and are relatively less "holistic" compared to US schools, will still demand interview processes that really looks at what kind of individual you are, also looking at how many related activities you've done e.g. hospital interns or volunteering at medical camps for medicine. All these factors combined make it rather unfavourable for people to take gap years, unless they have genuine reasons to do so. 

Although getting 43 points in the IB is an extremely respectable feat and something you should be very proud of, unfortunately the very best schools in the world won't really consider it the same way.

Also, the UCAS application deadline isn't until January 15. You do have some time to prepare a solid application into prestigious UK schools such as Warwick, UCL, ICL, LSE – all considered near or on par with Oxbridge. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, IB`ez said:

I don't think you have to worry about your IB scores staying valid long enough – I don't have exact numbers, but I'm willing to bet they''d last more than 3 years.

There ARE disadvantages with taking gap years as even with higher overall marks, you'll have universities wondering if you're taking a gap year solely in order to get into better schools, which isn't that valid a reason (at least to them). To avoid this, you'll need to be very productive even whilst your taking a gap year e.g. doing volunteer work abroad, employment at a company, pursuing a primary passion such as writing/art etc. Without doing these or similar things, your chances at getting into those schools are slimmer than even if you applied to Yale with a predicted 38 whilst you're still at senior year. 

Also such scores aren't the deciding factors in applying for admissions to such schools. Top American schools require extremely high scores in the SATs, usually above 1450/1600 to stand a chance. Oxford on the other hand, although without SAT requirements and are relatively less "holistic" compared to US schools, will still demand interview processes that really looks at what kind of individual you are, also looking at how many related activities you've done e.g. hospital interns or volunteering at medical camps for medicine. All these factors combined make it rather unfavourable for people to take gap years, unless they have genuine reasons to do so. 

Although getting 43 points in the IB is an extremely respectable feat and something you should be very proud of, unfortunately the very best schools in the world won't really consider it the same way.

Also, the UCAS application deadline isn't until January 15. You do have some time to prepare a solid application into prestigious UK schools such as Warwick, UCL, ICL, LSE – all considered near or on par with Oxbridge. 

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. I have no words to say how thankful I am. I have one more question regarding application to UCAS.

Do I need to arrange anything with IBO in order to apply with UCAS? For example, arranging release of my IB score. As I am very unfamiliar with UCAS I am not sure what to do. I simply registered for UCAS and entered my choices, but I don't think it would be as simple as that. 

34 minutes ago, RoyKim said:

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. I have no words to say how thankful I am. I have one more question regarding application to UCAS.

Do I need to arrange anything with IBO in order to apply with UCAS? For example, arranging release of my IB score. As I am very unfamiliar with UCAS I am not sure what to do. I simply registered for UCAS and entered my choices, but I don't think it would be as simple as that. 

No problem.

I'm not sure – but if you ask your DP coordinator or university counsellor, they should know. If not, I think you can do some digging on the internet on IB Score Reporting FAQ or each individual school's policies to find out what you need to do.